cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Hubs ( front)

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Does any one know what the maximum oil level for the front hubs?? It has a mark for minimum, but no line for maximum. There is a oil stain on the outside of the hub, not fresh, looks like it's been there for quit a while.
This is on a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer gasser 05 chassis Looking thru the plastic on the outside of the hub the oil level is just a little below the center. maybe an 1/8" lower then the other wheel.
The book doesn't say or have a picture.
19 REPLIES 19

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I would type a bunch more but...rgatijnet1 did it right posted the manual page

Any level between the "Minimum level" circle and the bottom of the rubber plug, or rather the bottom of the hole it plugs, is proper.

I prefer to fill via the drain plug (the one you can rotate to the top) cause it is easier to do that way.

I agree that you can use the drain plug hole to fill the hub but on my coach, if the stainless steel wheel covers are not removed, you cannot get at the side drain.

Using the drain plug can surely sidestep making a mess
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:

Any level between the "Minimum level" circle and the bottom of the rubber plug, or rather the bottom of the hole it plugs, is proper.

I prefer to fill via the drain plug (the one you can rotate to the top) cause it is easier to do that way.

I agree that you can use the drain plug hole to fill the hub but on my coach, if the stainless steel wheel covers are not removed, you cannot get at the side drain.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
I went thru the same thing a couple years back...more different answers than one could read...I bought new set of covers and installed them...bought them from a dealer in Texas somewhere...just google and the name will come up..anyway I fill to the bottom of the rubber plug..drive it and recheck..if needed top off to the bottom of the hole...and don't tell me you can't get the rubber plug to fall into the cover...I know better...don't ask me how...anyway good luck.
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dirtbags77 wrote:
If it is a Workhorse then fill it to the line only. You need to rotate the tire so the fill plug is on top. If you go to workhorse.com you can print a manual for the chasis which tells you everything about it. I have 2006 W24 and printed one. Takes a lot of paper but it is worth it. I you have any questions, pm me and I can look it up in the manual for you.

If you download the above manual, go to page 92. Obviously there is some confusion as to what to do but the WH manual is quite clear. The FILL plug is NOT on the side. It is the rubber plug in the center. The maximum full level is the bottom of the fill hole and the one and only line is the minimum oil level. Here is yet another picture from the Workhorse Gas Motor Home Chassis Guide.

Dirtbags77
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a Workhorse then fill it to the line only. You need to rotate the tire so the fill plug is on top. If you go to workhorse.com you can print a manual for the chasis which tells you everything about it. I have 2006 W24 and printed one. Takes a lot of paper but it is worth it. I you have any questions, pm me and I can look it up in the manual for you.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
ragatijnet1
Change it ! Never as far as I know. I bought the coach new in 07. It only has 36000 miles on it. Thanks for the site on the hubs.
I never do today what I can put off till tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch for all your input. I am only 80 years old, so I have lots of time. hee-hee

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The whole assembly, the gasket, and the center rubber plugs can be ordered. Mine are on 80,000 miles and I still have not used the two complete spare assemblies that I carry around. Workhorse hubs

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're pulling it outward, I don't know how it would fall inside? In the worst case, if it did, is you take off the 4 - 6 bolts, drain the oil (when was the last time it was changed anyways), remove the plug, apply a little silicone to the cap and bolt it back on. it's 10 - 15 minutes worth of work. If you're not at home, then disposing of the oil is a pain when on the road.

I don't think your MH is that old, but if the plug feel brittle, go buy a couple of new ones before taking the old ones out. If they feel brittle, they may start leaking soon anyway. Take a picture of the cap to take down to the truck shop or NAPA when you go.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The center rubber plug can be pulled out with your fingers. It is just pushed in, not threaded. Try rotating it first and you will see that it is just a simple rubber plug with a lip to catch on the plastic.
Once you remove that plug, fill the oil until it starts to run out. put the plug back in and you are good to go. I drain and fill mine every two years and have not had to replace a rubber plug yet. The reason why you do not fill past the lip of the rubber plug is because centrifugal force would just force the oil out and probably blow the plug out with it since it is just a simple push fit.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
The small plug is the hub drain. so you will not spill gear oil on the break linings when the wheel break drum/rotor/hub assembly is removed,

I think some of you might have misunderstood. In the center of the clear plastic window there is a small rubber plug. About the size of a dime or a little smaller. then to the side of that there is a black
plastic plug about the size of a quarter. looks like it should screw out.
The book is just not real clear as to which is the fill hole. That center rubber plug doesn't look like it will come out just real easy.
My problem is I am afraid of tearing the rubber plug and having it fall inside.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The Workhorse plastic hub covers have only one oil line and it is the MINIMUM. The bottom of the hole in the center is the MAXIMUM level. The side cover hole is the drain. This is covered on page 179 of the Workhorse chassis manual.

Your book is different than mine. My pages are not numbered from 1 thru a 100 or so. They are 1-100 and so forth, then it goes to 2-about 50 then 3- to about 50 more. I have about 3 paragraphs on the oil hub. Thanks any way.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The small plug is the hub drain. so you will not spill gear oil on the break linings when the wheel break drum/rotor/hub assembly is removed,
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Workhorse plastic hub covers have only one oil line and it is the MINIMUM. The bottom of the hole in the center is the MAXIMUM level. The side cover hole is the drain. This is covered on page 179 of the Workhorse chassis manual.