cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old age

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
There are subjects about classic motor homes but how about classic drivers. I was just reading another forum and someone asked opinions about the age of drivers. I know this must have been covered before but here goes. How old and how far per day, I'll start, can anyone beat my story?

I started driving a 35 ft. National Tropical gasser when I bought it new in 201 at the ripe old age of 68. In 2003 I traded it for a 2003 39 ft. National Tradewinds with a Spartan Chases, the difference was amazing. When traveling cross country I try to cover 400 miles a day. I'm a Korean vet with heart stints, otherwise good health. I just turned 85 last month and traded for a 40 ft. Canyon Star gasser. There has been a big improvement in handling and ride of the gasser since 2001. We will head back cross country in a month or so and I still plan to cover 400 miles a day, if I can do it without pushing too much. I have the advantage of having a much younger wife (8 years :B ) who is able to take the wheel when needed.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
30 REPLIES 30

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Arch, I get your point, we have made that drive more than 15 times over the years. Just allow 3 days for the 880 mile run instead of 2 and get a great audio book good for 12 hours. Done. Without getting out my journal I can't spell out the stops, but Fort Stockton is one for sure.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
GHOST1750 wrote:
There are subjects about classic motor homes but how about classic drivers. I was just reading another forum and someone asked opinions about the age of drivers. I know this must have been covered before but here goes. How old and how far per day, I'll start, can anyone beat my story?

I started driving a 35 ft. National Tropical gasser when I bought it new in 201 at the ripe old age of 68. In 2003 I traded it for a 2003 39 ft. National Tradewinds with a Spartan Chases, the difference was amazing. When traveling cross country I try to cover 400 miles a day. I'm a Korean vet with heart stints, otherwise good health. I just turned 85 last month and traded for a 40 ft. Canyon Star gasser. There has been a big improvement in handling and ride of the gasser since 2001. We will head back cross country in a month or so and I still plan to cover 400 miles a day, if I can do it without pushing too much. I have the advantage of having a much younger wife (8 years :B ) who is able to take the wheel when needed.

Just one question and why do you feel the need to drive 400 miles a day, when seeing the country and stopping to smell the roses, is what it's all about?

Drive across Texas on I10 five times and you'll see why 400 miles a day, or more, is a good thing.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
400 miles would be a beyond the norm run for us for either emergency reasons or just because. A normal run when repositioning would be 250 miles. When exploring an area we might move 40 to 75 miles just to provide easier day trips in the tow'd. No right or wrong, well 1,000 miles in a day would be WRONG for us even in extreme circumstances. Would park the rig and fly to destination.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:

Just one question and why do you feel the need to drive 400 miles a day, when seeing the country and stopping to smell the roses, is what it's all about?

What it's all about is different for everyone. There's no right or wrong way to do it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am 78 and just got another DP. I routinely tow a 32ft car trailer from 50 to 1000 mi every weekend, I drive the race car also and actually won a race a couple of weeks ago----I'll drive till I or the kids decide its time to stop

Is this Ken by any chance?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
I'm just a little over 10 years old in dog years so I figure I've got a long time to go before I quit driving around the country.

Depends. Are you a big dog or a little dog... 🙂

Hot dog. 105+ around here past couple weeks.

US Gear Brakes

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ArchHoagland wrote:
I'm just a little over 10 years old in dog years so I figure I've got a long time to go before I quit driving around the country.

Depends. Are you a big dog or a little dog... 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

georgem2106
Explorer
Explorer
Only 64 years young but our rule is "250 miles or 3 o'clock".

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are both 75. Just got back to home base from a 3,500 mile round trip. Outbound was a lot of short days 50 to 150 miles. We trade off at the wheel every two hours so no one gets tired or strained. The return was different. DW needed to get back to doctors and was advised not to drive. I did 4 days of average 350 miles with stops every couple of hours to rest the butt and empty the personal holding tank. I am surprised and happy that I was able to handle all the driving without feeling any stress. We try to keep speed at or under the low road speed so we are being passed not passing, but not so slow as to impede traffic. My reflexes are those of a 75 year old and I drive to allow for that. Since DW has as many miles at the wheel as I do, she is capable of taking over even "on the fly" should bad stuff happen.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer

US Gear Brakes

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 68 and lucky to have good health. We just sold our travel trailer and truck and are enjoying a gas motorhome. I'm the driver and my wife is the second set of eyes! She has a few health issues and along with retirement, we don't push to do more than 350 miles a day unless we absolutely have to. We are still enjoying exploring and getting away from the cold in the winter. And, we hope to keep enjoying the rv as long as we can and would consider downsizing to a smaller rig if need be to make it possible to stay on the road when we want to! You just have to count your blessings everyday and enjoy life!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
I'm 65 and will 66 shortly. I don't do long distance driving anymore. I figure WHY? In most cases, when and where we go, there is plenty of stops/camps/RV parks etc spread out all over this country to try and break long distance driving records. 99.999% of the time, we have no schedule. We go and we stop, when and where we want. If it's a Walmart, so be it. If it's a nice place, we might stay for a couple of days, depending on availability of the spot we're in.

I don't mind driving but, I just don't need to do the marathon thing anymore. There are folks on the Goldwing forum I visit every now and then and some of those boys are nuts. They'll do between 1,000 and 2,500 miles in a weekend. It's called the IRON BUTT club. Heck, I do 150 on the bike and I'm looking for an easy chair.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad is 88 and he left for Colorado yesterday towing a TT . Old age has slowed him down a bit and he has downsized from a FW to a TT. He only travels about 350 miles per day. My wife thinks he's related to the Energizer bunny. STILL GOING !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!