cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Campgrounds w/o 50A Service

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to pull the trigger and purchase new MH with 50 amp service. We usually stay in older state park campgrounds that only have 30 and 15 amp service. My current MH has 30 amp plug and prior owner added rear air conditioner that has its own 30 amp plug so it was easy to use an adaptor on one and be able to run both ac's.

Question is how are those of you with 50 amp rigs plugging in? Adaptor to 30 amp? If so doesn't seem like you would be able to run both ac's. Have looked at 50 amp splitters but not sure if that will solve my issue? Thought about having dealer put that rear AC on its own plug before taking delivery. Living in the South being able to run both ac's is a must.

Thanks for any advice
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby
18 REPLIES 18

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago has an energy management panel. I can run both ACs using my 50 to 30 adapter. The way to ensure they both run is to put my refrigerator on LP along with my water heater and watch power consumption during the heat of the day. If you use a coffee pot or the microwave the energy management system will take an AC off for you. I watch the amperage reading at the panel to decide what I want to run like the TV/Satellite receiver. Turning the inverter off and using sunlight from the shady side or an LED fixture for lighting and the awning to knock some sun off. Every watt counts because my ACs use 24 amps together during the compressor cycle.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
One of the better ideas is to get an AC voltmeter that plugs into a regular outlet. Watch the voltage, and if it stays well into the green, run whatever you need to. Even on a 50A circuit, if the voltage drops, cut your load and see if it comes up. That is the best indication you can get. If voltage is less than 120V, think very seriously about trying to run you AC or microwave. Those are the most sensitive to low voltage. Just because there is a 50A plug and breakers, doesn't mean that 50A is available. Depends on the wiring, and the load on that wiring. We have been in one campground that had 50A hookups and wiring, but the supply was only 115V. We had 50 amps of it, but still couldnot run the ACs.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
50 amp MH. No problem running 2 AC on 30 AMP. Been doing it for 3 years.

Pogoil.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
cjd10 wrote:
Getting ready to pull the trigger and purchase new MH with 50 amp service. We usually stay in older state park campgrounds that only have 30 and 15 amp service. My current MH has 30 amp plug and prior owner added rear air conditioner that has its own 30 amp plug so it was easy to use an adaptor on one and be able to run both ac's.

Question is how are those of you with 50 amp rigs plugging in? Adaptor to 30 amp? If so doesn't seem like you would be able to run both ac's. Have looked at 50 amp splitters but not sure if that will solve my issue? Thought about having dealer put that rear AC on its own plug before taking delivery. Living in the South being able to run both ac's is a must.

Thanks for any advice

I installed a dual power adapter that splits my rear A/C circuit so that I have the option of running it on it's own 20amp circuit and do so quite frequently. I suggest you do the same, so as to keep it isolated from the rest of the coach.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
id be sure you have good hard start capacitors on the A/C's as this will reduce the cranking amps needed to fire A/C's The EMS will do the rest.
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
The cheater box will not work in most CG. If the plug CB is GFI, it will trip it. I have run both of my AC at most 30 amp hookups and not dropped below 115 volts. Sometimes I get down to 112 volts. I know I can only run two major appliances at once so if we want to run a MW, hairdryer or other high draw item, we turn off an AC, until done.

I have a Kill-A-Watt (you can get them from Lowes, Amazon or other home center with electricity section) plugged by the door to check periodically. If it gets to 110 volt, I switch fridge to gas and turn off 120volt items or I turn off an AC as appropriate.

This will vary, based on the size of your major items (AC, MW, Hairdryer, W/D). Draws will be different.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
WE have 50A wired, but I have no problem with using a 30A supply. I have a good energy management system, ME. just use it like you only have 30A and it works fine. Our previous MH was only 30A, so I was used to doing that.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
New MH is a 2014 so need to check on energy management. Also limited my length to 35 ft since I know how tight some of those campgrounds can be. Current MH is 32 ft..
Sounds like the splitter will work if I have to go that way.

Thanks for the good info. Knew I could get some answers here.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best features on my Progressive Industries EMS is the remote display. I can monitor Volts, Amps and Hurtz from inside. If the power isn't there I can shut down the AC to use the toaster.

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Another consideration beyond the power is a lot of the older campgrounds you are looking at have a length limit so yoiu may want to consider how long your coach will be.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Good points on the EMS if you have one. I have one but personally I prefer to manage the power myself. I've had my system shed the television and the outlet my coffee maker was plugged into; really annoying.

... Eric

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're really concerned, have the rear air put on it's own plug like you had before. If, like you said, you go to places that only have 15-20amp service, you can then plug the front one in during the day and the rear one in at night. If your "new" unit has an EMS that will probably be all you'll need. If this is a new unit, as opposed to "new to you" it just may have one. You'll have to ask...

That's a lot of "IF"s....:E......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

drcarr57
Explorer
Explorer
I have Energy Management system. When running 30 I can use both a/c. When I turn micro on, the system will shed first the water heater, then the fridge, then if necessary the rear compressor will shut down, this all depends on how many amps I am drawing. Usually it will start shedding around 32 amps. all will come back on line when amps fall back to 30 or less.
RetiredRLM

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to run two ACs if you turn off water heater and put refrigerator on propane.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade