cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 4K generator

dfletcherljs
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a fuel problem with my generator, put an Edelbrock fuelpump in and ran like a dream, after an hour it died and would not start again, wont turn over. I checked breaker and had power to the switch on the generator but not starting. Could it be an oil sensor?
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gotta love the โ€œI need help but Iโ€™m not checking back in โ€œ folksโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
I know you probably already checked this, but, make sure the fuel level in your tank is enough to reach the pickup tube for the generator.

That problem will not cause the starter motor to fail to crank. With not getting any fuel the generator should crank but just wonโ€™t start.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jdc1 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
Pull the spark plug and try to crank it. Your fuel pump may be too high in pressure and overrun the float in the carburetor, causing it to flood out and fill the cylinder with gas and hydro-locking it.

You need a low pressure fuel pump. 2.5 to 4 psi. Most auto parts carry them for less than $30

That's what the little Edelbrock /Mr. Gasket pumps are. Although they are on the high side IIRC at 4psi maybe a bit more although likely lower if not installed in an ideal location.

OP gotta give more breadcrumbs though or the diagnosis suggestions will be random.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
eHoefler wrote:
Pull the spark plug and try to crank it. Your fuel pump may be too high in pressure and overrun the float in the carburetor, causing it to flood out and fill the cylinder with gas and hydro-locking it.

You need a low pressure fuel pump. 2.5 to 4 psi. Most auto parts carry them for less than $30

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you getting 12v to the genset itself from your battery cables? Also there are usually three starting switches on on the dash one with all your other 12v switches usually above stove and one on the genset itself. Do you get no cranking with all three switches? If all three switches produce no cranking check your breakers on the genset and check to see if there is an inline fuse maybe near the battery.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I know you probably already checked this, but, make sure the fuel level in your tank is enough to reach the pickup tube for the generator.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Won't turn over or won't run? If it won't turn over at all, either it's a starter/electrical problem or it's completely seized.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3