cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan EC30W Autostart Question

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the EC30W autostart and installed it with no problems. The problem I am having is with the control module itself. It constantly shows establishing communication, then shuts down as if a bad battery. I removed the rechargeable battery pack and put in regular batteries and it works fine. Acts like a bad battery pack that isn't taking a charge while plugged in. Has anyone else experienced this? Hate to have to pull everything back out and exchange it if I am missing something.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby
11 REPLIES 11

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
cjd10 wrote:
cjd10 wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
Since you just bought it, I would call Onan and tell them the battery pack included is bad. They should just send you another one. I ordered the replacement directly from Onan and it cost as much for the shipping as it did for the replacement battery pack.

I ordered from the Elkhart, IN facility at 574-262-4611. The part number was 018-03003. Cost was $16 plus shipping in 2012

Saw your post after mine. I'll give that a try. The people who answer the regular Onan number don't even know what the EC30 is. Thanks!

Thanks again. Called the number you provided, (which I will definitely save), and was connected to a gentleman very knowledgeable on the EC30W. I explained the situation and he is sending me a battery at no charge. Said if that is not the issue he will send out just the control module.

Glad to hear they were able to help you too!
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:
I was thinking about buying a EC30W but have some concerns of using it. I have hit the prime button on my Onan generator before I start it. Does the EC30W have the ability to initiate priming the Generator before starting? Also what happens if the Generator doesn't start right away. Will the autostart feature continue trying to start the Generator running the battery down?

The manual says the EC30W will attempt to start the generator for approximately 30 seconds. If it does not start it will wait 30 seconds and try again. It will only do this 3 times.
I am using this mainly for the air conditioners if shore power fails for some reason. I will always start the generator before we leave to make sure it is primed and warmed up and then shut it down in case the auto start is needed.
I do the same thing with my boat motor before I take it to the landing.
Clyde and Elaine
Rest in Peace Toby

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
cjd10 wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
Since you just bought it, I would call Onan and tell them the battery pack included is bad. They should just send you another one. I ordered the replacement directly from Onan and it cost as much for the shipping as it did for the replacement battery pack.

I ordered from the Elkhart, IN facility at 574-262-4611. The part number was 018-03003. Cost was $16 plus shipping in 2012

Saw your post after mine. I'll give that a try. The people who answer the regular Onan number don't even know what the EC30 is. Thanks!

Thanks again. Called the number you provided, (which I will definitely save), and was connected to a gentleman very knowledgeable on the EC30W. I explained the situation and he is sending me a battery at no charge. Said if that is not the issue he will send out just the control module.
Clyde and Elaine
Rest in Peace Toby

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about buying a EC30W but have some concerns of using it. I have hit the prime button on my Onan generator before I start it. Does the EC30W have the ability to initiate priming the Generator before starting? Also what happens if the Generator doesn't start right away. Will the autostart feature continue trying to start the Generator running the battery down?

Ken_C
Explorer
Explorer
I recently obtained a new battery pack for my EC30W from Onan. While it will allow me to access all menus, it would not allow me to set the auto start feature. I removed the battery pack and installed regular batteries and all is well. I haven't yet contacted Onan.
Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:

Clyde and Elaine
Rest in Peace Toby

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
Yes. I use batteries, tossed the battery pack.

Think that's what I will do as well. Just read in the book where it says to plug in the battery pack or install batteries. The battery pack is not taking a charge. I put a meter on it and it only reads 1.6V when it should be 2.4V. The charger is putting out 5 V.
Clyde and Elaine
Rest in Peace Toby

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I use batteries, tossed the battery pack.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
It finds the connection with no problems if I use regular batteries. When using the supplied battery pack it tries to find connection for about 20 seconds then goes blank. Pushing any buttons won't get it to light up again. Where did you find a replacement battery pack? Thought it might be easier to try that than box it all up for a replacement unit.
Clyde and Elaine
Rest in Peace Toby

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the EC-30W for years. We had to move it up to the center of the coach from the bedroom because it would keep losing its connection when kept at the rear of the coach. We have had to replace the battery pack in the remote once after a few years. When you say it shuts down, does the screen just go dark? That is normal but does it light back up again if you press any button?
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited