cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan Gen Removal

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried (or have done) a removal project of an Onan Generator?

I want to get rid of my Onan Emerald I Genset. My problem is how to remove it away from the "cubby" hole after unmounting it. I've read some suggestions to drop it through the opening underneath.

I looked under the MH and measured the height and found there is not enough clearance even if I remove the muffler. I could jack up the MH but it would not work either because the floor struts are welded.

I'm thinking of renting a crank lift similar to the ones used by air conditioning guys to hoist a window type AC. Another option is I can build a welded scaffold and use a 3 ton jack and (kinda) walk the unit away from its mounting with the 3-ton jack.

Your thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
A picture is worth a 100 words. Look at the weld in, it must attach to a frame of some type. Use a small wheel saw to cut the welds and drop the Gen. Then use angle iron under the cut attachment area with several bolts to reattach, or maybe a somewhat larger flat steel plate drilled and bolted under the frame mount.

LEN

MrWizard
i raised the MH with the levelers and dropped the genny out the bottom with a floor jack, on the Komfort
on the safari, i replaced the bolts with all thread and solwly cranked it down

if you have cross member support problems, then something may have to be cut and rewelded
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
I guess I could raise it high enough or dig a hole like they have on those Jiffy Lube Oil change stations.

However, the floor strut and steel plate that are used as a platform are welded.
This is a retrofit when this model was recalled for having flimsy generator support. The danger of having the gen fall out in case these structural members are rusted out. No report of injuries were reported then. . . just a precaution but the manufacturer did it anyway.

I could cut the struts to drop it, but I won't be able to reweld them without creating a potential fire hazard. There are fuel lines near the genny.

Leaving the struts unwelded would weaken the structural integrity of the MH.

Thanks for the input. If I can save a $175.00 an hour RV labor charge, it would certainly be nice.

Are you sure the whole cage isn't bolted to the frame of the RV proper somewhere (or bolted together somewhere)? On mine, the bottom part of the frame the generator was mounted to connects to the rest of the framework with eight bolts and nuts, two at each corner, and I lowered the generator still attached to the frame floor. I would be extremely surprised if they welded together the framework with the generator attached, so I presume there must be some way to get it in and out without cutting the framework.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2004 Winnebago and my genset was dropped to the ground by using a transmission jack.

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I could raise it high enough or dig a hole like they have on those Jiffy Lube Oil change stations.

However, the floor strut and steel plate that are used as a platform are welded.
This is a retrofit when this model was recalled for having flimsy generator support. The danger of having the gen fall out in case these structural members are rusted out. No report of injuries were reported then. . . just a precaution but the manufacturer did it anyway.

I could cut the struts to drop it, but I won't be able to reweld them without creating a potential fire hazard. There are fuel lines near the genny.

Leaving the struts unwelded would weaken the structural integrity of the MH.

Thanks for the input. If I can save a $175.00 an hour RV labor charge, it would certainly be nice.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Onan just dropped out the bottom. I used a floor jack under it, and had raised that side of the RV a bit.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
They dropped (and raised) my 5.5 Onan using a floor jack under the genset. I can see that different rigs would have diff clearances.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends how it's installed and mounted.

Mine (a MicroQuiet 4000) relatively easily--or at least straightforwardly--drops out from below. It is necessary to raise the motorhome some to slide it under the skirting once dropped, say by driving up on ramps or using a bottle jack or something. (I suppose alternately one could park over a pit or depression.) However, there are many different ways and locations for generators to be mounted, so that may well not apply in your case.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back the mh up on some wood blocks and rent a transmission jack.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
On my older diesel pusher m/h the genset came out the front. Had to take the grill out and a couple of fiberglass panels. Hoist it out that opening.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C