cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan’s New Inverter Based Generators - Mike Mas

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer

Hey Guys - I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss Onan’s newer style “Inverter Based Generators” which use a processor controlled variable speed protocol to vary the generators rpm to match immediate load demands. In any case, inverter based Onan generators are quieter, more fuel efficient and will last 2-3 times longer than a standard Onan thanks to the fact they spend most of their time operating 50% slower than past Onan generators.

Fortunately my new Renegade Verona - Was equipped with a 8 kw “Inverter Based” gen-set. As soon as you start the generator, you'll note it's a departure from the older Onan generators which were required to operate at high rpm's even when there was no loads placed on the generator.

Presently all the newer 6 kw & 8 kw Onan diesel generators - Are "Inverter Based Generators". Onan just released their first gas / propane inverter versions called 2500i - 2800i for B & B+ Vans. Last time I checked, the 10 /12 kw Onan’s were still using the older constant speed protocol. The primary difference of the older Onan generators is they were required to run at a set speed around 1800 rpm. This was mandatory for the generator to maintain a true 60 cycle wave form. Any deviation in speed, would cause the sine wave frequency to change.

The term Inverter Based Generator - Can be a bit confusing to some RV owners. While this technology is new to Onan's RV units, inverter generators have been around for decades. In fact, my 15 year old Honda 1000 portable generator has this inverter technology. When you start a inverter generator it will run at a high idle speed for a few minutes to reach operating temperature. Once this is accomplished, the generator then slows back down to idle speed just as your main engine would waiting for a load.

These newer inverter generators - Operate differently as they now dump the alternators output into a built in inverter module which maintains the generators output at a constant 60 Hz, regardless of rpm. As soon as a load is applied, the inverters processor samples the required amperage, then quickly increases engine speed to a level to maintain that load. It’s this process of allowing the engine run slower which conserves up to 40-50% fuel compared to the older generators which were required to run at nearly 50% throttle constantly.

On a few Occasions - When I wanted to top off my Renegade’s lithium batteries set, I'll use the generator to power my Xantrex 3012 inverter to charge the batteries at 150 amps, or at 300 amps using my second onboard Xantrex Pro 3000 inverter charger. The beauty of this new generator is runs just a bit over idle speed to accommodate this charge cycle. In fact, you hardly know the generator is working. This same process with my older Onan generators was awful, since the generator would have to run at high speeds even though it had a very minimum load. This low speed charge cycle only consumes around .10 gal hr. verses half a gallon an hour on the older generator units. You'll also note that when running the roof AC unit, as the compressor cycles off, the generator lowers to idle again conserving fuel and reducing noise.

In my discussions with a number of RV owners - I was surprised to find out that many owners did not realize their RV’s were equipped with this new technology generator. If you’re not sure you have an inverter generator- Just start the generator with no loads applied. If the generator stays at idle with no load, then you have the new inverter set. If it runs at a constant fast speed with no load, you have the older ten-set.

While on the topic of Inverters - Most Renegade’s from 2020 now use an inverted based compressor motor for the refrigerator as well. This system requires half the power of past units. The refrigerator in my Renegade only draws 3 amps, where the same 18 cu ft refrigerator in my Newmar drew 6.5 amps to operate. The inverter controlled compressors have the ability to run at seven different speeds for efficiency drawing as little as only 1 amp to maintain temperature.

Since my coach runs entirely - On it's own 16,080 watt hour Lithium battery which runs the A/C, my generator is seldom used. My coach is a little over a year old now, and I’ve only run the generator 3.1 hours for testing and exercise. Regretfully some type B and B+ & C manufactures are now removing the generator when they install a lithium package, this is not a good practice. I would not own an RV without a generator.

I did want to mention in the article they also offer a a unique advantage for RV lithium battery charging, since you can charge your lithium batteries with the gen at idle, preventing the use the engine with all its DPF extended idling problems.

In conclusion - I could not be more pleased with its quiet running and economical fuel operation. Congrats to the folk's at Onan for this major improvement in RV generators.

Stay Safe Guys - Mike
45 REPLIES 45

Bruce_Brown
HERE is the release directly from Cummins (Onan).
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bruce_Brown
Idle-Up wrote:
wborst wrote:
Nothing new here. My 2003 Mountain Aire has a QD 7500 that uses the inverter technology.

Thanks for the reply however this is new news as of 2021. Regretfully, I have to inform you that your 2003 Newmar does not have an Inverter based generator. When your genny starts up goes right to high speed.

Regards - Mike

Mike,
Put down the shovel, you are 100% wrong. As many have stated Onan has built diesel powered inverter generators for years. They absolutely do NOT go to high speed. Please get your facts straight.

As hohenwald noted, the new ones are gas powered. I'm sure they also have updated the diesel ones, but the inverter part is not new for the diesels.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible that the "NEW" thing here is that Onan is now making smaller gas powered generators using inverter technology? Perhaps it's been around for a while on the larger diesel powered generators but is new for gas units.

Just wondering.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies however I have spent hours with Cummins regarding these new Inverter based generators I suggest your research it further. I suggest you go out and start your generator you'll note it goes right to a high speed to maintain 60 hz. No one said inverter generators were complicated, the alternator simply dumps the output into an onboard inverter which maintains 60 hz even at idle speeds.

I have a number of articles on these generators, inverters, lithium batteries installations and much more on my non- sponsored personal website. I invite you to check them out to brush up on modern technology click or copy and paste the link below.

Stay Safe - Mike

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Idle-Up wrote:
wborst wrote:
Nothing new here. My 2003 Mountain Aire has a QD 7500 that uses the inverter technology.

Thanks for the reply however this is new news as of 2021. Regretfully, I have to inform you that your 2003 Newmar does not have an Inverter based generator. When your genny starts up goes right to high speed.

Regards - Mike

Idle-up, You are so far off base. What you are saying just is not true. Onan has had variable speed Inverter Diesel generators since 1996.
Please stop posting bad information.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inverter based generator is not confusing at all

Standard RV Battery/inverter system for use of 120 volt stuff off batteries

DC=Battery----Inverter----AC-Load
Inverter Genny

ALTERNATOR (this is a device that normally creates 3-phase AC but recitfies it into something approximating DC (High ripple)
Fliter
inverter
The output to your RV.

The Alternator diodes and filter replace the battery

How to "Home brew" (For visualiation purposes)

Horozontial Lawn Mower engine and standard automotive alternator

Feeding a 12 volt battery or a "Battery Simulator" (As Magnetek called it)

Small 12 volt battery

Feeding an Inverter
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Idle-Up wrote:
wborst wrote:

Regards - Mike

QD7500

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
wborst wrote:

Regards - Mike

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All- For those of interest here’s a just released image info from Onan of the new 2500i and 2800i (inverter models) as well as a listing for the new 6 kw diesel Inverter model.

PS I did re-size the images as requested!

Stay Safe - Mike

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE thanks for the reply - Every generator made has a speed control function as the literature you provided, if they didn't the generator could not maintain 60 Hz. The variable speed control your thinking about allows the engine to increase throttle to accommodate different loads or Variable Speed Generator.

There is also a world of difference between a variable speed generator and an "Inverter Based Generator" they operate on totally different electronic protocols.

Unlike the older generators the alternators output on the new units goes through a built in inverter like a Honda generator does for 60 hz regardless of speed. Inverter based generators such as my 8kw unit can idle and put out perfect 60hz power. In fact I charge my lithium batteries using my Xantrex 3012 with the generator at idle.

You can't idle the older generators they have to run at a fixed rpm to maintain 60 hz. I've listened to and repaired hundreds of Onan generators since the 80's and none would sit at idle, as soon a they start up, they run at one set speed all the time.

Regards - Mike

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Please limit the image width to less than 400. Otherwise folks have to scroll to read the text.

Hello I sure will thanks!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Please limit the image width to less than 400. Otherwise folks have to scroll to read the text.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Onan has made diesel inverter RV generators with variable engine speed operation for about a couple decades, if not longer; see for instance this specification sheet with a copyright date of 2002.

Idle-Up
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply however I suggest you research it further. These new 6-8 kw diesel inverter generators were not released until a few years ago. This has been confirmed by Cummins Onan. In fact my 2019 Newmar did not have this feature, neither did my 2017 Nexus Super C 6 kw. all the past generators ran at a constant 1800 rpm to maintain 60 cycle output.

Regards - Mike