cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Online Tire Ordering

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I wanted to share a positive experience with online tire ordering. I'll refrain from sharing the name as I am not familiar with any Good Sam endorsement restrictions. I will say however, it was very Simple to get the Tire.

I had an issue the Wednesday before the last when driving my coach home from storage two days ahead of a long-awaited trip. I encountered a road hazard which rendered one of my tag axle tires useless and unsafe for anything further than getting it home (another 5 miles). The following morning, I called every Michelin dealer between Flint and Detroit and could not find the tire. One larger shop in the area claimed to have one only to find out it was some odd ball version of the tire sold primarily in South American climates. I went as far as calling Michelin who then informed me the tires were on an indefinite backorder and there were no immediate plans for a production run, despite its popularity.

I found an online retailer who claimed to have the tire (albeit at a $200 premium). I chatted with their representative who informed me it was indeed in stock, and could be shipped for roughly $30. I inquired about the age of the tire and was told it could be up to four years old. That part I did not like (as the other seven good tires are roughly 18 months old) and didn't feel like buying a tire that is 40% aged for 100% price.
However, I learned if I received the tire and it was older than I liked I could return it for $20. Without much other choice, I order the tire on Monday evening and it arrived by FedEx freight Friday. The tire was 38 weeks old. I had 24 hour emergency service install the tire Saturday morning and its back on the road.

It was not cheap to go this route (about $300 more per tire based on my experience), but given the supply chain issues it is an option to consider if you find yourself stuck like I did. Not sure if anyone will find this useful, but figured I would share it anyhow. Safe travels out there!
4 REPLIES 4

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Did you consider replacement with a brand other than Michelin?

I had a great experience with my first set of Michelins (prior to this set) and didn't consider any other brand (well not that seriously anyway). The main reason I wanted an exact match to the other seven was that these tires were less than 18 months old. I wanted to keep matching tires for the next 8-1/2 years (hopefully!)

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Firestone instead of Michelon the last tire change and they have performed well, 50,000 miles in 8 years. Almost time for a new set.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I had a tire decision to make this past summer also. My rear tires were starting to show very large side wall cracks. We decided instead of trying to get home to Missouri from Northern Minnesota we would replace tires here.

I had Michelin, but knew I wanted to go with TOYO tires. No one in northern Minnesota had anything near what I needed. So go on line! I found the same online dealer "Simiple Tire" and had 4 Toyos delivered to the shop for installation in 3 days. Customer service was excellent.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Did you consider replacement with a brand other than Michelin?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad