cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on a 2008 HR Scepter 42 PDQ

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I'm still looking to upgrade (3 months of searching and several trips to look) and came across a 2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ.
We like the floor plan and general looks etc and are waiting for a dealer response to our email request.

Any thoughts on this model? Known problems etc.

thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
16 REPLIES 16

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I'm partial to the good handling the Monaco RR10S chassis that Dynasty and a 42' Scepter rides on...much the same as Foretravel/Neweel/Prevost. I do the 1500 miles from home to CO in two days as my Dynasty handles that well. I like that a 42 PDQ does not have a window over the head of the bed (cold in winter)...side windows in the slide. After 13 years of use, I hope to use my Dynasty for another 13 years.

Yep, that side window(s) in the slide is also appealing to me. I hate the blinds as a headrest - dumb idea. It also has a ceiling fan which I also like on medium warm night when you don't want AC running.

Thanks for the info.

Chris
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
Aqua Hot a great addition, we love ours.

I've gotten the build sheet from the dealer and it states Aqua Hot 450 as an included option. Lots of other goodies as well. Just hope it's in as good a shape as the dealer claims and that we can come to a deal.

This would be my 4th MH and my last as I'm this close (" ") to retirement (anytime after Jan 2018 - but no later than Jun 2019 for a full pension).

Chris

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Chris, I have to echo what Ivylog says, it's a great riding chassis (we had a 2008 Dynasty, 42 ft.).

How many miles on the coach?
How many hours on the genny?
New Batteries?

Good luck, sounds like you might have found a good one!
MM.

It has around 50K miles. The previous owner was an OTR trucker so I suspect he knew the importance of maintenance (hope so)

Don't know much else until I inspect the coach tomorrow, leaving tonight after work and going part way.
Salesman did confirm tires are 2016, he says they are a dealership who do not sell MHs with tires over six years old.
It's one of the few dealers that recognize our concerns - others state something like "I've driven thousand of miles on ten year old tires with no problems, the tread is still good" - those are the ones I avoid!

Chris

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua Hot a great addition, we love ours.
2014 American Eagle

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, I have to echo what Ivylog says, it's a great riding chassis (we had a 2008 Dynasty, 42 ft.).

How many miles on the coach?
How many hours on the genny?
New Batteries?

Good luck, sounds like you might have found a good one!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke to the salesman and they know the history of the coach - sold it to the previous owner. He passed away and his DW traded it for smaller gasser.
He rated it an 8 out of 10 with new tires in 2016. They have the service records as well.

He also sent me a copy of the build sheet and it has several options. (aqua hot, air leveling etc)

Looks like we'll be going to have a serious look at it on Thursday.

Thanks for the responses.

Chris

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
Sceptor is a fine coach. Back in 08 it was third in the long HR pecking order behind only the Navigator and Admiral.

???? Are you sure 🙂

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Scepter 40 PDQ. Had it for ten years now with no thoughts of replacing it. Can't find any reason to. Love the coach, the layout and the ride.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm partial to the good handling the Monaco RR10S chassis that Dynasty and a 42' Scepter rides on...much the same as Foretravel/Neweel/Prevost. I do the 1500 miles from home to CO in two days as my Dynasty handles that well. I like that a 42 PDQ does not have a window over the head of the bed (cold in winter)...side windows in the slide. After 13 years of use, I hope to use my Dynasty for another 13 years.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Joe T. wrote:
Joe T. wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing either a Class C or A motorhome about 10 years old. I can't stand the depreciation of a new one.

The wife and I want to travel a bit, see the National Parks, museums, etc. about the U.S. and Canada.

Could you tell me a little about your 2003 Dutch Star 4005?

Regards,
Joe T.

Maybe this inquiry would be better handled via a PM. I did not mean to hijack your thread. My apologies.

Beat you to it, no problems on hijacking the thread.

Joe T.

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Joe T. wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing either a Class C or A motorhome about 10 years old. I can't stand the depreciation of a new one.

The wife and I want to travel a bit, see the National Parks, museums, etc. about the U.S. and Canada.

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe, I sent you a private message with some details.

Chris

Joe_T_
Explorer
Explorer
Joe T. wrote:

Regards,
Joe T.

Maybe this inquiry would be better handled via a PM. I did not mean to hijack your thread. My apologies.

Joe T.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sceptor is a fine coach. Back in 08 it was third in the long HR pecking order behind only the Navigator and Admiral.
2014 American Eagle

Joe_T_
Explorer
Explorer

Regards,
Joe T.