cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our Past RV's

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
There was a thread started by another forum member a few weeks ago discussing older coach remodels/modifications and I didn't have any digital pictures of our past rigs. Last night I had my son scan some pictures of our past RVs and decided to start a new thread rather than dilute the other thread. My wife and I were blessed and started camping and then RVing early in our married life. When our son came along he just accepted it as normal because he didn't know any different right from birth. He has always traveled by way of some form of RV and all of our family activities have revolved around enjoying the outdoors and some form of motorsports. My wife and I didn't come from families that did this but we learned quick.:laugh: We perform and have performed ALL of our own repairs, modifications and upgrades which I find almost as fun as using our RV's.

I know technically not a motorhome but this was our first RV. We bought the 1988 Ford F250 after my wife and I were married. The truck was totaled and I rebuilt it in 1991 just after purchasing our new home. In 1992 we bought our first RV, a 10 1/2' Northland camper with the lengthwise queen bed over the cab. It was a 1990 model and I did some work for a guy who owned a car lot who took it in on trade and didn't want to deal with a camper. I traded some work on various cars on his lot for the camper. We agreed on a $3500.00 price so I worked off that much in parts and labor for him. Turned out to be a great deal and a great friendship emerged.

The camper was in immaculate condition with very little use. However, the brown/beige two tone stripes on the exterior had to go. I had some leftover paint from when I rebuilt the truck so I color matched to camper to the truck.

Here is a picture of just after painting the camper and loading it for its' maiden voyage.

First trip out with the new setup, wife's family reunion. Needless to say although a small RV, we were hooked.

By the following year I had also purchased a wrecked 24' enclosed trailer to haul our toys to the sand dunes. I needed some extra carrying capacity so I converted the F250 to a dually and painted to match. I also had to fabricate an extended hitch to tie into the frame of the truck in which could handle the tongue weight of an enclosed trailer full of sand toys.

Washed up in the driveway before heading out. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the trailer hooked up to the truck/camper in my photo album. Stupid me, it was quite a sight.

We owned the truck camper for several years and thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was small, even for a family of three. We didn't travel long distance with it as we mainly used it for weekend getaways and sand duning but it fit our budget at the time. We enjoyed listening to my aunt/uncles stories about traveling in their motorhome (1976 FMC) and thought maybe someday. We went snowmobiling with them one weekend and the motorhome bug bit us and bit us hard. We immediately went into save mode to acquire a motorhome.

In 1995 we fell into a great deal on a 1984 30' Travelcraft on the GM P30 chassis. The gentleman we bought it from belonged to my aunt/uncles' motorhome club and he had lost his wife about three years prior and the Travelcraft had just sat. It had been neglected and was in desperate need of some TLC. Friends thought we were nuts due to its age but it had character and was extremely well built despite its' age. It was really ahead of its' time, it had the larger 6500 watt Onan genset, one piece fiberglass roof, water tank up inside the closet (heated), blender built into the counter and a very luxurious looking wine cabinet, not that the wife and I drank but it looked cool and high tech. He made us a good deal and we commenced on remodeling/modifying the coach to suit us and off we went on our journey.

I went through the coach bumper to bumper and got it current on all maintenance related issues such as all fluids, filters, replaced tires and fixed the many little things that needed attention. I also did some transmission upgrades, Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, full tune-up including re-curving the distributor and rebuilding and fine tuning the carburetor. We drove the coach for a full season and fell in love with it, prior to the second RV season starting I promised the wife I would do some cosmetic upgrades to brighten it up and bring it more current. The sidewalls were holding up very well as they were aluminum skinned and painted with automotive paint. The endcaps however, were gelcoat and no matter how much I buffed them, they would die back and loose their gloss. The bottom section also had some bumps and bruises that needed attention.

I painted both endcaps and the bottom section with PPG basecoat/clearcoat urethane and it turned out great. Much easier to keep looking good. I also installed a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit for the second season and after driving it I realized that should have been one of the first modifications done. It made highway driving so much more enjoyable. We met some people who we started taking extended road trips with and this was the start of our long distance RVing. We traveled around most of the western U.S. and parts of Canada with this coach and either towing our 24' enclosed trailer or flat towing our Jeep Cherokee until 2000 when we sold it and upgraded to our first DP.

Here are some pictures of our Travelcraft undergoing its' external remodel/refresh. Sanded and getting ready for paint.

I was able to match the maroon color pretty good but I couldn't match the gold strip so I ended up repainting the gold all the way around as well as the bottom section which was faded to more of a "pinkish" than a maroon by now.

Bottom section. I even painted the generator door to tie it all in with the bottom.

Buffed/polished and reassembled. Almost ready to hit the road.

The wife and I then decided to tackle the interior. Out with the dark maroon and woven wood shades.

In with the newly upholstered interior and vertical 3" blinds. I had an upholsterer who had done several street rods/customs for us over the years and he was very adamant that he does not work on RV's but he agreed to recover the furniture if I were to remove it and bring it to him and not tell anyone. He also covered the valances over the blind tracks that I fabricated from wood.

Continued into our next coach, 1991 Beaver Contessa, immediately following.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
29 REPLIES 29

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee I still have an old coach. ๐Ÿ™‚ In my signature!

But we also have a newer KZ tt and a Class A bounder. I still like the Toyota the best!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
Very nice. You are really talented in body work and painting. You do a very good job.

Thank you. I try.

Mike.

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. You are really talented in body work and painting. You do a very good job.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
zmotorsports wrote:

Thanks, I will check that out. I didn't see that the first time.

Mike.

Mike, the link in my signature is back to working if you want to take a look at my conversion project.

I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Mike.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Very nice Mike!!! Infact better than very nice!
X-2

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
zmotorsports wrote:

Mike.

Mike, the link in my signature is back to working if you want to take a look at my conversion project.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
Waiting patiently (or not so much) to see more from BigrabbitMan....

I read the whole thing when I found it a few months ago. GREAT stuff!
But progress is slow and it's been dragging on...lol.

Yes, it has been slow this past year as I have moved to Oregon from California this past year and now I am 9 hours from my coach. There have been some significant interuptions caused by the move and some other things,BUT, things should start moving again in about a month. I need to have it on the road by June.
BigRabbitMan

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting patiently (or not so much) to see more from BigrabbitMan....

I read the whole thing when I found it a few months ago. GREAT stuff!
But progress is slow and it's been dragging on...lol.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
zmotorsports wrote:
BigRabbitMan wrote:
zmotorsports wrote:
We enjoyed listening to my aunt/uncles stories about traveling in their motorhome (1976 FMC) and thought maybe someday. Mike.

Mike, the 1976 FMC's are still rollin'! See my signature as it is my first and only RV. Currently upgrading it from the 440 to an '06 Duramax with 6 spd Allison.

Good thread!

That will be AWESOME!!!!! Please start a thread and post up a LOT of pictures of that transplant. I would love to see that.

My aunt/uncles' was a 1974 and it underwent many transformations in the 10-ish years they owned it. My uncle rebuilt the Chrysler 440 engine and transmission and installed an air research fuel injection system on it as well as heated tanks and a complete paint job along with a 22' enclosed snowmobile trailer all painted to match. They purchased it around 1985 and sold it around 1995/96. It made several trips to Alaska and two to Mexico with their motorhome club. My wife and I really wanted to buy it when we were looking but simply couldn't afford it. About a year after we bought our Travelcraft they ended up selling it for just a little over what we paid for our Travelcraft. Not that I didn't love our Travelcraft but I really would have loved to have that FMC.

Mike.

Mike, click on the link in my signature that says "Gas to diesel conversion". That is a 15 page photo story with explainations of the photos of the conversion which is still happening. At the moment, the website is down as it is being moved to another server, but it should be back up in a day or so.

Mike.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
zmotorsports wrote:
BigRabbitMan wrote:
zmotorsports wrote:
We enjoyed listening to my aunt/uncles stories about traveling in their motorhome (1976 FMC) and thought maybe someday. Mike.

Mike, the 1976 FMC's are still rollin'! See my signature as it is my first and only RV. Currently upgrading it from the 440 to an '06 Duramax with 6 spd Allison.

Good thread!

That will be AWESOME!!!!! Please start a thread and post up a LOT of pictures of that transplant. I would love to see that.

My aunt/uncles' was a 1974 and it underwent many transformations in the 10-ish years they owned it. My uncle rebuilt the Chrysler 440 engine and transmission and installed an air research fuel injection system on it as well as heated tanks and a complete paint job along with a 22' enclosed snowmobile trailer all painted to match. They purchased it around 1985 and sold it around 1995/96. It made several trips to Alaska and two to Mexico with their motorhome club. My wife and I really wanted to buy it when we were looking but simply couldn't afford it. About a year after we bought our Travelcraft they ended up selling it for just a little over what we paid for our Travelcraft. Not that I didn't love our Travelcraft but I really would have loved to have that FMC.

Mike.

Mike, click on the link in my signature that says "Gas to diesel conversion". That is a 15 page photo story with explainations of the photos of the conversion which is still happening. At the moment, the website is down as it is being moved to another server, but it should be back up in a day or so.
BigRabbitMan

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley wrote:
Thanks for posting. You do great work.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Mike.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. You do great work.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments.

Fixing up the older stuff is one thing but I am anxiously awaiting seeing your new coach Mark.:)

Mike.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
You do mighty fine work!!!
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.