Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overhead Squeaking/Creaking Noise

tote
Explorer
Explorer
Here's where I'm at.
Bought a really cool 4x4 motorhome. 1987 Lindy with the 4x4 conversion done.
It's a heavy MH.
I've gone through the whole thing making seem as new as I can.
Te thing I'm dealing with is the squeaking/creaking noise from where the cab and bunk meet.
I pulled the headliner, took out all the lag screws and drilled all the way through each one replacing them with 1/4'' hex bolts, fender washers, felt washers between the mating surfaces and a lock washer and nut.
Solved the problem....until.....a recent trip to Oregon where 101 has one way controlled traffic and a fairly makeshift road on one part. It was a curvy road. I took one turn and the road was downhill, then suddenly uphill. Sudden enough to make the MH bottom out on the bump stops. The squeaking/creaking returned immediately.
Fast forward to now.
Removed the headliner again, Tightened all the bolts. No luck.
So I beefed up the bolts from 1/4 to 3/16.
Sprayed the gasket between the cab and bunk with Sil-Glyde.
Put a felt strip between the cab and bunk so there is no metal to metal contact.
I found one bad squeak. There was one piece of metal on the inside where the bunk meets the back wall behind the drivers seat that was rubbing. Just had to put a screw driver in there and bend the metal back a bit so there was no more contact. That noise is gone.
The front still squeaks like heck as I go down the road.
So what is normally used to replace the gasket between the cab and overhead bunk? Iโ€™m at that point.
And I'm looking for advice from someone who has actually done it and been successful; no leaks and no noise.
Here's a vid of the MH in question.
Thanks in advance.

Tote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGx4byk9sIE
6 REPLIES 6

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't overlook wood as the culprit, think of the squeaky floor in your home. I re-stapled some wooden framework and even used some foam sealant to eliminate my really loud squeaks . My unit is an 09 Cambria with overhead entertainment center. Silicone spray on wood joints worked for me also.

Drove a new 500K motorhome from Topeka to Southern Cal. for a friend and it squeaks and rattles like mine. Just increased radio volume a tad.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pretty good thread from classic Winnebago with guys with the same issue. One guy seems to know what he's talking about regarding the cab/coach seal. If you google Class C cab to coach, seal there is a ton of threads but will take some time to go through them.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

tote
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Tote, that's a really sharp looking older rig. Very clean and straight. If no one replies on how to replace that gasket, try IRV2, maybe someone in there has done it. If I could give a modest opinion as a mechanic, I think it's very heavy for a E350, and am wondering if the frame itself is flexing. With the 4x4, winch/bumper, and that big toolbox in the back I wonder what it weighs fully loaded. Another area to check is where the coach is mounted to the chassis at the frame. If there's play down there it will show up on top. Good luck with it very nice rig.

Thanks for the input.
I've been meaning to get it weighed but been too busy doing other things to it. One thing about old American Steel is it's strong.
Everything in the motorhome works as it should.
Just having a real hard time trying to find out exactly what kind of gasket is up there.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have my sympathy for squeaks.... not one of my finer moments when I have to put up with them. :M :M
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tote, that's a really sharp looking older rig. Very clean and straight. If no one replies on how to replace that gasket, try IRV2, maybe someone in there has done it. If I could give a modest opinion as a mechanic, I think it's very heavy for a E350, and am wondering if the frame itself is flexing. With the 4x4, winch/bumper, and that big toolbox in the back I wonder what it weighs fully loaded. Another area to check is where the coach is mounted to the chassis at the frame. If there's play down there it will show up on top. Good luck with it very nice rig.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.