cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overland Expo East

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if we have any other Class C Easterners here who will be interested in attending, but thought I'd at least mention it. It's the first weekend in October at Taylor Ranch right outside Asheville. http://www.overlandexpo.com/east/.

It's pricey for 3-4 nights of dry camping at $280 single, $490 double. But the price covers a _lot_ beyond that. If you're at all interested, take a look at the activities list before you decide it's too costy. There are also limited-access day passes available, but you don't get all the goodies. Go to http://www.overlandexpo.com/experience/, scroll down, and click the list to enlarge. I'm pretty sure I'm going for the whole thing.

I think the day pass is $30/person.

Jim, "Start the day with a smile, and get it over with."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')
7 REPLIES 7

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Update on camping, here: Just the FAQ.

Basically 4x4 only, under 12' tall. Bring leveling blocks. No big rigs, Class A or 4x2.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - no one else from the Northeast/RV.net is planning on attending this event?

I am "hoping" (fingers crossed) to be able to. And I think if memory serves me, that you can pay the $290 for a single ticket/camping and buy a spouse the day pass. So that makes it a little more reasonable. I have to go back and re-read the policy now.....

Does anyone know how bad the dry camping area will be as far as slopes? they say to bring blocks, but how bad out of level is it? Will one side of the Dodge be levitating 3ft. in the air on cribbing?

*** Oops - I just realized this is the Class C forum... I thought my search was in Truck Campers. Anywhooo, still interested if any RV.net people will be there.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I think so. I haven't been to one yet, but it's in a beautiful spot. 3-4 nights of (dry) camping, a variety of courses, a first-class barbeque meal, overlanding-oriented shopping opportunity... yep, probably worth it. And I think the full-ticket folks at least get to drive the Land Rovers on the course even if they don't take their own rigs over. Heck, I don't plan to run the course in my Tiger; I _know_ how punishing this stuff can be on a vehicle, I fix my own stuff, and I've got decades of off-roading under my belt.

Jim, "Meter maids eat their young."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, is it worth going if you can't run the course?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Mock, if you're doing a factory pickup in late September, you'll be about 180 miles or less from Taylor Ranch & Expo East. A few days camping near the factory to show up any bugs and get them repaired, and then straight up I-26 to the Asheville Airport exit. It's about 5 miles from there, maybe 3 turns. But I'd suggest refraining from running the the 4WD course in it, since it won't have enough miles to be broken in.

Jim, "Science has produced a cross between a squid and a sponge, for making self-inking stamp pads."

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
If my Tiger is ready for pickup in September, I'll be interested.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from Overland EXPO and for anyone who is interested in long term, 4x4, international travel, it is like being a kid in a candy store. There is a lot to see and do and lots of toys to play with. I taught four sessions and two round tables, so I missed a lot.

For people interested in seeing Tigers, I know that they will be exhibiting again.

Norlina Bleu spent his time handing out literature.

Corrected oversize picture.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper