cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P30 weld in drag link?

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
My 1993 class a p30 coach with rear disc brakes is at a shop for an alignment at the moment. They called me and said it needed a drag link because it has alot of play. I said no problem just fix it. They called me back a few hours later saying 2 alarming things;

1: Apparently these drag links on the p30s of this era vary in lengths, and the one they are providing is a cut and weld part. So i guess it comes really big, and then they chop and weld it to the proper size? I cant find any info on something like that. Supersteer offers 2 drag links for the p30 and they do specify that after 1991 there was some confusing changes. But nothing about cutting and welding stuff.

2: they also told me that whoever worked on this front end in the past used all the wrong tie rods (possibly ones from a regular pickup) and that they arent long enough to align it because there wont be enough threads to grab the adjuster sleeves. So now its getting new tie rods.

So is this cut and weld drag link really a thing? How many drag link options were there for these rigs?
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
11 REPLIES 11

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Did they check your ball joints?
What about the bell cranks?

I specifically asked about those items and they assured me everything else was in good shape. Ive done the ball joints twice already (first time i got the wrong ones and they failed). Ive never done bell cranks but i dont know what the life expectancy is for those. This rv feels very tight going down the road. Virtually no slop.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did they check your ball joints?
What about the bell cranks?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I got my rig back today. It got the new supersteer drag link, new moog tie rods, and an alignment. It drives about as good as a p30 ever will. I am satisfied. Hopefully i get atleast a few trips out of this repair.

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, i emailed the supersteer and suspension website to the service manager that ive been dealing with and he agreed that a cut and weld is wrong. He asked me to order the 93+ drag link from supersteer so i had it sent directly to the shop.

This particular shop is really popular with rv repair in my area. Im not sure why they got frazzled with this part. Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a brain fart. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The after-market one that was installed on my rig allowed for some adjustment during alignment. Rigid welded one will not do this.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well. From Shop Class. I know that a properly done weld is often the strongest part of the rod... I also know an IMPROPERLY Done weld is.... NOT.
(Fact A welding test I took you welded two pieces of metal together then broke the weld apart to see how good you'd done... Neither I nor the Instructor could break my weld)

But for that part I'd want the weld done by a certified Aircraft Welder and X-Rayed for safety to insure it was properly done. The Shop may have the Certified technician. but I'd be real surprised if they even know where to get a joint x-rayed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are part of a race/design team with an on staff metallurgist who can properly heat treat your modified suspension/steering parts, the general rule is: "use them as they come out of the box." If they don't fit or look right, . . . . . get a different box. Chances are the right parts are available, but, because of the age of your vehicle, you may have to search for a while to find them.

Chum lee

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Cut and weld the drag link. All the tie rods are incorrect? My first thought when I read that is you need to find a different shop. They are looking at the wrong parts diagram or something.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure don't want to drive my RV with a drag link that Bubba cut and welded to fit-maybe. I am near 80 and at one time was part owner of a shop that worked on those things and I never heard of such nonsense.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, cutting and welding is not a thing.
Parts:
Henderson lineup

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Call these people. They will have the answer and the parts.
P30 suspension parts