cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paint Work on Our Dynasty

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I noticed that on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty there were a few spots on the left side (the one that is in the sun when parked at home) where the clearcoat was starting to peel. I had gotten a couple of bids to have the coach painted and we eventually will but for now I opted to try to buy us a year or two by repairing the areas. The right side of the coach looks like it just rolled out of the factory so if I can get the left side where I am happy with it then we can postpone having the entire coach painted for a couple of years. If the right side were just as bad as the spots on the left side we probably would have gotten it painted over the winter. I would love to paint it myself but just don't have anywhere to do it and outside is too unpredictable as far as weather goes plus I don't want to shower the neighborhood with that much overspray. The few spots that I am repairing do not produce much overspray and I am doing each section seperate.

Here are a couple of pictures of the clearcoat peeling.

Removing the caulking that seals between the fiberglass side and the aluminum trim around the bedroom slide. This will ensure the paint and clear get into the corner completely. I will re-caulk them with Geocel 2300 afterwards.

Sanding and feathering the lifted edges of the clearcoat.

Bedroom slide masked, areas where I sanded through the base color sealed and ready to paint.

Bedroom slide completed.

More pictures to follow.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
29 REPLIES 29

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I envy and admire guys that can perform automotive body work and painting, That's one thing that I was never any good at doing. For sure, if I ever attempted to do any paint work on my coach as above, the end result would be nothing more than a disaster!
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I finally got my new Velvac mirror bases and was able to install them yesterday to complete the exterior facelift. To say that the chrome on the Velvac mirrors is poor is an understatement. This is the second time I have had to replace the bases. I replaced both complete mirrors about 4-years ago as an assembly due to peeling and flaking chrome. This time the chrome on the heads and arms looks fine but the bases had chrome peeling off in small sheets.

Here is the driver's side mirror base.

Passenger side. Not nearly as bad but you can see it bubbling up around the bolt hole openings.

Here is the part number for the new bases. These should be the same for most if not all early to mid-2000 Monaco coaches. The part number is not listed on Velvac's website. I had to call them and give them the part number for the entire assembly and they looked up the bases from there. The entire mirror assemblies were extremely expensive and the bases are still overpriced for what you get.

Word of advice here, remove the 3/8" set screws that secure the arms in the base and anti-seize them thoroughly. I place some on a small screwdriver and reach into the thread bore to place a small amount and then coat the set screw itself. I am glad I did this when I replaced the mirrors four years ago as I fought getting them apart last time and they came right out this time. They leave the set screws in when they chrome the bases and if you merely run them in to secure the arms they WILL rust in there solid. It is worth the two minutes to remove them, blow out the threads and give them a coating of anti-seize.

Left base replaced and the mirror reassembled.

Left mirror completed and polished up.

Right mirror replaced and polished up.

Well she is finally presentable again and ready to be seen.

Mike.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Nice work Mike - looks GREAT.

I'm with you on the self taught part too. I've had exactly 0 hours of formal training. My thought is someone did it before me so why not. Then again I also ask a lot of questions before I get in too deep. :B

Thanks Bruce. I agree, a lot of research. I am pretty much 100% self taught at all things mechanical. Watched my dad, listened and applied it using common sense along the way. Followed closely by a love of all things mechanical and drive to learn and progress.

I am also a firm believer in the 7 "P's". Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Think it through and then attack it and get it done. Don't drag it out or procrastinate. I am not the fastest person by any means but I swear I look around at co-workers and neighbors and I get more done on accident than most people set out to do on purpose each day.

Mike.

Bruce_Brown
Nice work Mike - looks GREAT.

I'm with you on the self taught part too. I've had exactly 0 hours of formal training. My thought is someone did it before me so why not. Then again I also ask a lot of questions before I get in too deep. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Alphamonk wrote:
DAMN! I am envious of people who can whip out a job that good. Is your background spray painting?

Thanks for the compliments. I have built a lot of special interest vehicles over the years. I have had a couple of street rods that I built and some sand toys published in magazines as well as built quite a few motorcycles for clients but no "formal" schooling or training to speak of. All self taught and just reading a lot and trial and error.

Mike.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
zmotorsports wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mike, I just can't get over how gorgeous of a job you did. You definitely have talent!

Mark

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate that.

By the way, how goes the new coach search? I haven't seen anything for a bit. Kinda envious here.;)

Mike.

Mike, the search is complete. Ordered a Liberty Coach. Going to the factory mid-May to pick out the interior and paint scheme. It should be ready early November.

Are you, by chance, itch'n for a newer Dynasty? ๐Ÿ˜›

Mark

Nope, I am good with the one we have. Thanks for the offer though, yours is a beauty.

Congrats on the new coach, I am happy for ya. Be certain to post up a thread with a LOT of pictures when you get it. That way I can vicariously enjoy a Prevost/Liberty coach through you.;)

Mike.

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
DAMN! I am envious of people who can whip out a job that good. Is your background spray painting?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
zmotorsports wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mike, I just can't get over how gorgeous of a job you did. You definitely have talent!

Mark

By the way, how goes the new coach search? I haven't seen anything for a bit. Kinda envious here.;)

Mike.

Mike, the search is complete. Ordered a Liberty Coach. Going to the factory mid-May to pick out the interior and paint scheme. It should be ready early November.

Are you, by chance, itch'n for a newer Dynasty? ๐Ÿ˜›

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

Mark

Mike.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Scott & Jill wrote:

That really turned out looking good so did you use a airless sprayer to paint it?

No. I used my Iwata W400 gravity feed spray gun.

Mike.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Scott___Jill
Explorer
Explorer
zmotorsports wrote:
Last year I noticed that on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty there were a few spots on the left side (the one that is in the sun when parked at home) where the clearcoat was starting to peel. I had gotten a couple of bids to have the coach painted and we eventually will but for now I opted to try to buy us a year or two by repairing the areas. The right side of the coach looks like it just rolled out of the factory so if I can get the left side where I am happy with it then we can postpone having the entire coach painted for a couple of years. If the right side were just as bad as the spots on the left side we probably would have gotten it painted over the winter. I would love to paint it myself but just don't have anywhere to do it and outside is too unpredictable as far as weather goes plus I don't want to shower the neighborhood with that much overspray. The few spots that I am repairing do not produce much overspray and I am doing each section seperate.

Here are a couple of pictures of the clearcoat peeling.

Removing the caulking that seals between the fiberglass side and the aluminum trim around the bedroom slide. This will ensure the paint and clear get into the corner completely. I will re-caulk them with Geocel 2300 afterwards.

Sanding and feathering the lifted edges of the clearcoat.

Bedroom slide masked, areas where I sanded through the base color sealed and ready to paint.

Bedroom slide completed.

More pictures to follow.

Mike.

That really turned out looking good so did you use a airless sprayer to paint it?
1999 Pace Arrow 37s
F53 Triton V10 8 to 9 mpg 6 to 7 with toad

2005 Mazda 3 2.5 26 mpg

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Well that is one project that I am glad is DONE!!! Over the Easter weekend I was able to get the remaining two large sections of the coach painted and clear coated.

Here is the large mid section after I sanded, prepped and masked everything. The factory had installed the refrigerator trim ring and painted over it. I didn't like that as it had a paint bridge where the trim ring and the coach side. This paint bridge started to crack a few years ago and had some pieces of paint and clear coat come out and has bugged me ever since. I decided to paint the side of the coach and the trim ring separate and then install the trim ring and caulk afterwards for a cleaner looking job.

This is the only section where I had to blend the clear coat. It was a small, approx. 3" wide, area under the bedroom slide.

Areas where I sanded through sealed with PPG's DP48LF.

Here the gray stripe was painted.

Refrigerator trim ring.

The black and gray were masked off and now the sandstone was applied.

Colors unmasked and clear coat applied.

Clear coat blended in nicely.

Completely unmasked.

The area over the windshield was probably the worst. There was hardly any clear left. Here it is sanded down prior to masking.

Masked and sealed with more of PPG's DP48LF.

Gray and clear coat completed.

Next up is a good detailing.

Mike.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
I painted the large section between the bedroom slide and the galley slide on Saturday. Yesterday I prepped the eyebrow section (over the windshield) and I am getting ready to paint and clear that today. Thank goodness that is only one color. The section on Saturday involved all three colors.

Mike.