cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plugging access holes while at at camp sites

stokkeland
Explorer
Explorer
We are completely new to RV'ing - just got a gerogetown class A motorhome, and getting familiar with things while at home, spending lots of time on internet, forums, blogs, youtube etc learning things.
One thing i have not found anything on, so perhaps it is not a valid concern - is how to plug up an access hole while at a camp site. It has 4" and 6" access holes for power and water and sewer, it would appear to me that if in say Florida at a site, hooked up, I should try to pad these holes with something to prevent critters and roaches and such easy access to inside the belly?

i can stick some rags in it, but was thinking maybe here was some products out there to quickly seal it or something.

Any advice is helpful - thank you
6 REPLIES 6

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
While my RV is sleeping for the winter, I make sure to use steel wool in any holes that mice can get into, not sure if that would work for bugs though.. Maybe if sprayed with repellent?
Proud father of a US Marine

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Expansion foam is permanent
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

stokkeland
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you rgatijnet1 and Executive - I didnt think of just cutting some foam to fit and using deterrents to fit environment, may combine your proposals even 🙂

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Use some of that expansion foam used for insulation.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I've always done is soak a rag and wrap it around the exit hoses etc. as tight as I can. Once it dries, it makes a formidable barrier to the critters. If there is an ant/bug problem then I liberally spray or soak the rag with the appropriate bug killer to keep them out....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can cut pieces of foam to fit around the sewer hose and power cable to seal off the holes. I used 2" foam to cut the foam as I needed it. The foam is flexible enough so that if you cut it a little too large it will still compress and seal the opening.
Since we traveled a lot in the Winter, I would only hook up the water and sewer when needed to empty the black and grey water and to fill the fresh water. Then I used the screw in covers to fill the holes or you can also cut solid foam inserts if you do not have the screw on covers.