cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Polishing Alcoa wheels

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with aluminum wheels that have the coating that is bad and unable to polish the wheel properly.I had a manufacturers rep with a product called Nuvite tell me that the coating had to be removed before their polish will work, that was their experience with Airstreams,any thoughts? Thanks jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP
14 REPLIES 14

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We used a stripper and polished our Alcoas with Jewelers rouge. It comes in bars. Don't polish too hard or you leave swirls. They come out like chrome.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Addendum to previous post!!!

I looked out in my garage for the aerosol can of stripper I used and it is, "Rust-oleum Clear and Base Coat Remover". Spray it on and let it set a couple of minutes, brush with medium still brush and you have bare aluminum. Be sure and follow safety instructions is all.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"FIRE UP".....I wish you would quit posting pics of my wheels, that's plagiarism!

My previous coach had uncoated wheels and once polished out, they were easy to keep nice looking. It was made even easier by keeping them covered when stored at home.

My new coach has a tag axle, adding two more rims to polish. The good news is, they're coated and don't require polishing. The bad news is, they just don't shine like my old rims.

I think the OP is in for a tedious job to remove the coating that is going bad. A call to the manufacturer might produce some ideas on how they would go about stripping them. At minimum, pulling the wheels off would probably make life easier, but is a big job with 22.5's.

I'm with Dennis regarding cleaning the clear coat wheels. It says not to polish them, but they just never look good, except when wet. If someone has a way to make the clear coat wheels look a little better without destroying the coating, I would be glad to hear what you do.

"Plagiarism", heck I thought it was "WHEELISM".

And you're absolutely right. It will be seriously easier to remove the wheel and get it to workable, comfortable level (ergonomically) so he's not straining, to do a strainfull job anyway. There are many folks on here that think you'll IMMEDIATLY destroy the coating on alloy wheels if you even touch them with the same polish you'd use to polish the aluminum underneath it. Hog wash.

I've put some Semi-Chrome (paste) on a friends wheel, attempting to polish the aluminum and noticed within a few seconds that, there was no traditional "Black" on the tip of the cloth that anyone would get right off the bat when do an alloy wheel. I buffed off what paste I'd applied and, there was no damage what so ever. I've said it before, that stuff is way tougher than most people think.

It's built and has the chemical make-up to last. It's not meant to be removed but, it can be if one chooses to. It's only work.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"FIRE UP".....I wish you would quit posting pics of my wheels, that's plagiarism!

My previous coach had uncoated wheels and once polished out, they were easy to keep nice looking. It was made even easier by keeping them covered when stored at home.

My new coach has a tag axle, adding two more rims to polish. The good news is, they're coated and don't require polishing. The bad news is, they just don't shine like my old rims.

I think the OP is in for a tedious job to remove the coating that is going bad. A call to the manufacturer might produce some ideas on how they would go about stripping them. At minimum, pulling the wheels off would probably make life easier, but is a big job with 22.5's.

I'm with Dennis regarding cleaning the clear coat wheels. It says not to polish them, but they just never look good, except when wet. If someone has a way to make the clear coat wheels look a little better without destroying the coating, I would be glad to hear what you do.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
catldog wrote:
Anyone have any experience with aluminum wheels that have the coating that is bad and unable to polish the wheel properly.I had a manufacturers rep with a product called Nuvite tell me that the coating had to be removed before their polish will work, that was their experience with Airstreams,any thoughts? Thanks jg

catldog,
The topic of polishing aluminum wheels has been discussed just a FEW times on here and other RV forums. I've been polishing aluminum for decades. It started in '70 when I purchased my first "Norton" (British) motorcycle. I've been polishing aluminum ever since. There is no magic elixir to getting aluminum to shine like chrome. The answer is, LABOR, PERIOD! It takes lots of labor and effort to get the results one wants.

And, as you've found out, the factory will apply a coating on some of its wheels and, on some it won't. That's all based on who's purchasing them and their requirements. Now, if yours does have a coating on them, then it will be just a tad bit of work to get it off so that you can then move forward in obtaining the polished look you'd like to see.

Most of the time, the coating that is used on most wheels is a clear Urethane. It's a pretty darn hard substance. It can be chipped but, not all that easy. Now, I personally have only removed one coating, from one wheel, in my lifetime. And that was on an actual "chrome" steel wheel. I used Lacquer thinner for that task, way back when I did it. It took quite a bit to get that coating to loosen up.

But, if I were you, I'd maybe make two phone calls. One would be to Accuride which, is the maker of many of the aluminum wheels on many of our RV coaches and see what they would recommend for the removal of the coating that THEY applied to them in the first place. The second call might be to a Professional Auto Paint supplies establishment. They are some of the best on chemicals to be used for what purpose, in the auto industry. They have paint strippers, which would include paint from steel, fiberglass, aluminum and more.

Now, once you've found out what chemical to use, and have used it, now you're ready to start the process of polishing. If you're lucky, the condition of the wheels will be such that, you won't need much work to get them to where you'll be happy with them. If the coating removal chemical did not do any cosmetic damage to a somewhat polished surface, you're in great shape.

If, that's the case, then you can simply get some good microfiber cloth and, one of many Aluminum polishing pastes/liquids/compounds on the market. Every body has there top choice. I've used probably a dozen different pastes, compounds, rouges, liquids and more. I've got that many sitting on the shelf now. To date, with all the products I've used so far, Mothers is close to the top rank in leaving the shiniest results.

This is kind of, a matter of preference. I've used Semi-Chrome, Mothers, Brown and white rouge bars, Zephyr 40 (a Costco on line item only) and more. But, that's enough information for you to get started with anyways. Good luck. Remember, it's only LABOR!
Scott

Great looking wheels, if I ever get to AZ. I will look you up so you can show me on our rig how you do it! Just to let you know I'm a slow learner.

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
I will get a pic of my wheels if I can figure out how to load it,the wheels are coated,the coating is similar to what is on the Airstream trailers,on their forums they have used aircraft strippers and various paint removers to get this stuff off.I would like to avoid the aggressive sanding if I can.Sounds like another project.Thanks Again jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is saying that the coating is peeling in a few places? if the coating is just dull then buff as you would any other paint. it is a lot of work, but looks good when done.

Do you have a pic of the wheel?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I use mothers with a couple of their polishing balls on a electric drill.
Works fantastic
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
catldog wrote:

catldog,
The topic of polishing aluminum wheels has been discussed just a FEW times on here and other RV forums. I've been polishing aluminum for decades. It started in '70 when I purchased my first "Norton" (British) motorcycle. I've been polishing aluminum ever since. There is no magic elixir to getting aluminum to shine like chrome. The answer is, LABOR, PERIOD! It takes lots of labor and effort to get the results one wants.

And, as you've found out, the factory will apply a coating on some of its wheels and, on some it won't. That's all based on who's purchasing them and their requirements. Now, if yours does have a coating on them, then it will be just a tad bit of work to get it off so that you can then move forward in obtaining the polished look you'd like to see.

Most of the time, the coating that is used on most wheels is a clear Urethane. It's a pretty darn hard substance. It can be chipped but, not all that easy. Now, I personally have only removed one coating, from one wheel, in my lifetime. And that was on an actual "chrome" steel wheel. I used Lacquer thinner for that task, way back when I did it. It took quite a bit to get that coating to loosen up.

But, if I were you, I'd maybe make two phone calls. One would be to Accuride which, is the maker of many of the aluminum wheels on many of our RV coaches and see what they would recommend for the removal of the coating that THEY applied to them in the first place. The second call might be to a Professional Auto Paint supplies establishment. They are some of the best on chemicals to be used for what purpose, in the auto industry. They have paint strippers, which would include paint from steel, fiberglass, aluminum and more.

Now, once you've found out what chemical to use, and have used it, now you're ready to start the process of polishing. If you're lucky, the condition of the wheels will be such that, you won't need much work to get them to where you'll be happy with them. If the coating removal chemical did not do any cosmetic damage to a somewhat polished surface, you're in great shape.

If, that's the case, then you can simply get some good microfiber cloth and, one of many Aluminum polishing pastes/liquids/compounds on the market. Every body has there top choice. I've used probably a dozen different pastes, compounds, rouges, liquids and more. I've got that many sitting on the shelf now. To date, with all the products I've used so far, Mothers is close to the top rank in leaving the shiniest results.

This is kind of, a matter of preference. I've used Semi-Chrome, Mothers, Brown and white rouge bars, Zephyr 40 (a Costco on line item only) and more. But, that's enough information for you to get started with anyways. Good luck. Remember, it's only LABOR!
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have Alcoa's but I have alloy wheels and they were in terrible condition. My Sidekick was from the OR coast and someone tried to remove the oxidation and clearcoat with sandpaper and screwed them up, following the removal of the oxidation he spray painted the wheels and that turned yellowish.

I decided to refinish the wheels and bought a couple of cans of clearcoat remover from Pep Boys. I used my 7" sander/buffer from HF and a set of cotton wheels and their polishing and buffing compounds to get a great shine. Some of the sandpaper marks were so deep I used 500 and then 1500 W&D sandpaper to remove the marks. The smoother the finish before buffing the easier it will be to get a great shine.

I bought a can of spray paint for the area between the spokes and when I get back from Idaho at the end of the month I will finish the job by clearcoating the wheels. My local bodyshop(I've known the owner since High School) suggested the remover and clearcoat. I'm getting a quart from a auto paint store and will use my gravity sprayer.

The remover is very hard on you if you inhale the fumes. I used my 3M Dual Element Mask I use for sanding and painting. Some places took two or three application of the remover and a nylon scrub brush.

It's a lot of work but those wheels really look great.

PS: smacdiesel is right about keeping the shine but it is nothing compared to keeping Brass, Gunmetal and copper polished in a submarine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine are coated and specifically state do not polish. If you're are the same, you'll have to remove all the coating before you can polish...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I treat mine the same as paint, use clay bar, cutting compound, polish then wax. The problem with bare aluminum is the maintenance in retaining the shine. I'm sure there is firefighter on this forum who could relate.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
catldog wrote:

Nuvite is an aluminum polish, it doesn't polish any clear coat.

But you can polish thru it eventually.

I set my wheel on a front hub so it can spin. then use my 7" angle grinder with a cotton 12" buff, and red rouge for the first polish, get it clean, then a new buff and aluminum polish, the wheel must be free to spin.

polishing a front wheel
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Sanding is about it.One guy used aircraft stripper on his