cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressors

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,I wondered what type or brand of air compressors everyone is using? The portable ones don't look heavy enough for my 22.5 dully wheels, but I hate to lug around a big cylinder type compressor. So let me know what's working for you! Thank you, Lee
23 REPLIES 23

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm partial to this portable Ryobi inflator. Works with their 18v batteries, has auto-shut off at your desired pressure, and supports up to 150 PSI:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P731/203060297
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Tradewinds
Explorer
Explorer
I use a VIAR 400P and it has no problem taking my 22.5s to 110. I never had to blow one up from empty but I use it to keep them topped off. It is portable and I use it in my jeep also. It will take a 15x12x35 to 32 pounds from 10 pounds in 2.5 minutes...
Bob
National Tradewinds with Nissan 4x4 Ext Cab/Honda CRV Toad
It's the Journey not the Destination
RVing since 1970

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
Where are those ports typically located?

Mine is located in the bay with my LPG and diesel fuel tank (first bay behind the front left tire). It's actually right above the LPG tank. Look for a quick connect somewhere. I carry a hose long enough to reach the back right tire since all other tires are closer than that one.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If you can reach the tank, install one on the end or side of it.If you DIY, drill the hole and relieve the edges (round them off before installing the outflow. You can then put a long enough pipe to reach into a compartment or to the rear to hook hoses on.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Where are those ports typically located?

FIRE UP wrote:
Licreek wrote:
I'm driving a DP but it doesn't have an air port off the tank. Can I have one installed without breaking the bank. By the way where is the port mounted? Do you have to carry 50' of air line?

Licreek,
You don't say what year/make/model coach you're driving in your first or this post. Many diesel coaches have an air port somewhere for filling and or topping off tires. Not all but most. Adding a port, must be done by someone who's definitely educated on the air system for diesel coaches. You just don't tap into any place you'd like. Costwise, it's fairly cheap. You can get DOT fittings and air line for a bit more in price but, you're then assured all the equipment is top notch and will last for years and years.

And as for a 50' air line, again, many coaches came with them, at least ours did.

Using the coaches on board, engine driven air system is ok, it will work. However, in many cases, the running pressure of some of the tires on certain diesel coaches is right at or around, 120 psi. And in just about all diesel coaches and or any air braked systems out there, around 120 is top air pressure for the coaches air system.

What all this means is, if you're trying to top 120 psi tires off but, your coaches cut-out pressure is 120 psi, you might be there awhile due to the two conflicting with each other. In other words, your engines compressor is cutting out and is off, just when you need that much pressure to top your tires off. lots of cycling.

As for portable compressors, any and all of them, no matter if 120VAC or 12VDC models will struggle with getting 120 psi tires up to top. Some will work harder, some less. None will compete with a 150 psi home or shop compressor. As you can see and read, everyone's got a favorite. Tires, especially the 22.5" ones, should not need that much topping off. Yes, when cold they'll read a pound or two low but, I don't get all head-ache over that. Within a few miles, they're right back up to par.

But, if you must get one, look for a 120VAC unit that has a listing of minimum of 150 psi. Although listed as 150 psi, it's still hard for them to ACTUALLY put out 150 in something also requiring a lot of volume, LIKE A 22.5" TIRE. NO one puts 150 in theirs but, you get the point.
Scott
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Licreek wrote:
I'm driving a DP but it doesn't have an air port off the tank. Can I have one installed without breaking the bank. By the way where is the port mounted? Do you have to carry 50' of air line?

Licreek,
You don't say what year/make/model coach you're driving in your first or this post. Many diesel coaches have an air port somewhere for filling and or topping off tires. Not all but most. Adding a port, must be done by someone who's definitely educated on the air system for diesel coaches. You just don't tap into any place you'd like. Costwise, it's fairly cheap. You can get DOT fittings and air line for a bit more in price but, you're then assured all the equipment is top notch and will last for years and years.

And as for a 50' air line, again, many coaches came with them, at least ours did.

Using the coaches on board, engine driven air system is ok, it will work. However, in many cases, the running pressure of some of the tires on certain diesel coaches is right at or around, 120 psi. And in just about all diesel coaches and or any air braked systems out there, around 120 is top air pressure for the coaches air system.

What all this means is, if you're trying to top 120 psi tires off but, your coaches cut-out pressure is 120 psi, you might be there awhile due to the two conflicting with each other. In other words, your engines compressor is cutting out and is off, just when you need that much pressure to top your tires off. lots of cycling.

As for portable compressors, any and all of them, no matter if 120VAC or 12VDC models will struggle with getting 120 psi tires up to top. Some will work harder, some less. None will compete with a 150 psi home or shop compressor. As you can see and read, everyone's got a favorite. Tires, especially the 22.5" ones, should not need that much topping off. Yes, when cold they'll read a pound or two low but, I don't get all head-ache over that. Within a few miles, they're right back up to par.

But, if you must get one, look for a 120VAC unit that has a listing of minimum of 150 psi. Although listed as 150 psi, it's still hard for them to ACTUALLY put out 150 in something also requiring a lot of volume, LIKE A 22.5" TIRE. NO one puts 150 in theirs but, you get the point.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
The ports cable is the one I use also good to 150 lbs. you canโ€™t be in a hurry but if you think diesel air can do it faster try it first.

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Porter Cable pancake compressor. For less than a hundred dollars you can beat them.

Been using this one for 10 years and does the job on my 22.5 tires.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
It has more to do with SCFM than tank size, you do't even need a tank. Better waiting on the compressor than depending on road side service.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I can't picture a pancake compressor making a dent on a 22.5 tire.

You are correct a portable is perfect for adding when low but I wouldn't want to fill a 22.5" from flat. We carry a little portable mostly because I am always filling bicycle tires but I have used it for coach & toad.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A tank, of modest size, is of limited use at best for tire maintenance. The tank isn't large enough to put a large dent in the tire, so you're limited by the speed of the air pump regardless.

I use a Fini AirBoss, available at Lowes among other places, which is nice and compact, about carry-on bag size. It has a cut-out pressure of 135 psi and a cut-in of 110 psi, approximately; this may be a bit low for some tires and loads. It's quite compact and relatively quiet (which is to say, quite loud, but not EXTREMELY VERY LOUD).

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sears "Craftsman" 7 gallon tank compressor...with a nice large handle, had it now for a few years, fits in one of the storage bins quite nicely.
It does take care of adding (NOT filling...ADDING) air to my tires, but it can take a long time. That 7 gallon tank has to recharge itself quite often.

Patience, brother, patience. I think it retails for $120, but $90 on sale. It has no problems running on shore power or via the generator.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you happen to search this Forum for `air compressor'. It might have been discussed previously.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RV Tire Inflator - VIAIR 400P-RV this is a tank less air compressor. spendy but they do work.