cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have a 3500 Dually Truck as a TOAD vehicle?

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just exploring possibilities. I have a Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4WD pickup truck which I use to tow my 5th wheel trailer toy hauler.

Somewhere down the road I'd maybe like to trade my 5th wheel in and get a Class A motorhome. But I love my Ram 3500 and it's my daily driver. So if I go the route of a Class A, can I flat-tow, trailer, dolly my Ram 3500? It weighs about 7,500 lbs and measures 22 ft nose to tail.

Here's a twist. I also love my motorcycle and my 5th wheel is a toy hauler. If I go the motorhome route, I don't want to give up space for a toy hauler garage again, so I was thinking I'd like to put the motorcycle in the bed of the truck as the truck is towed. The bike weighs 400 lbs.

So we're talking a combined weight of 7,900 lbs for a TOAD. Plus any trailer or dolly if that's what I would need.

Is this possible with a motorhome? What am I looking for in a motorhome that can do this? I'm guessing it will need to be a diesel for starters.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
28 REPLIES 28

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Cat C7 350HP engine towing a Jeep Wrangler. I spend most of my time in the western states and western Canada. I'm sure 350HP will eventually get you up the hill, but I myself, would want a stronger engine for towing the truck and bike.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
A word of advice if you do decide to tow it.

After you are hooked up have someone go back and make sure ALL the tires are turning as you slowly pull forward.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Just to make sure I know what I'm looking for, can we take a look at this Winnebago Vectra 40QD Class A Motorhome as an example?

Fuel Type: DIESEL
Engine Type: 350HP 8.3L CUMMINS
Chassis: FREIGHTLINER
Transmission: ALLISON 3000 MH 6-SPEED
GCWR: 42,000 LBS
GVWR: 32,000 LBS
GAWR: 12,000 LBS FRONT, 20,000 LBS REAR
Hitch: 10,000 LBS DRAWBAR, 500 LBS VERTICAL TONGUE WEIGHT

My Dinghy:

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW
Base Weight: 7,608 LBS

Motorcycle (chocked and strapped in truck bed)
Dry Weight: 370 LBS

Total Dinghy Weight: 7,978 LBS (I assume dry)

Let's add 300 lbs for tools, towing gear, 35 gallons of diesel in the truck, and 3 gallons of gas in the bike. So round up my dinghy weight to 8,300 LBS

As an example, would this Winnebago do the job?
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
All you need is enough horse power to pull it, a strong hitch and a 4X4 truck with a transfer case that will go into neutral.

Here's a friend towing his Chevy 3/4T, 4X4, LB, CC, Chevy diesel with his Razr loaded up.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a lot of weight. Just make sure the BUS has a big enough motor to get you over the hills-----400+ sounds about right-----and a good brake system for the truck.

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I posted a couple of screenshots from my 2007 Dodge Ram user manual a couple posts above, which says the truck can be flat towed (4 down) as long as it's the 4WD model by putting the transfer case into Neutral. I have the 4WD truck with the electronic transfer case, so it's just a few steps to put the transfer case into Neutral to flat tow it.

The user manual has a section specifically for "towing behind a motorhome" :B

Also looked up the MotorHome Magazine 2007 Dinghy Towing Guide and it says Dodge Ram 4WD pickup trucks can be flat towed.

All good news to me!

As I mentioned, I currently have a 5th wheel toy hauler RV that I tow with my truck now, but down the road maybe before my 5th wheel turns 10 years old, I'm thinking maybe I'll switch to a non-toyhauler motorhome RV and flat tow my truck and bike.

So this is just an exploratory question, and I learned a lot thanks to everyone. Thank you all!
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
scottkeen wrote:
I'm just exploring possibilities. I have a Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4WD pickup truck which I use to tow my 5th wheel trailer toy hauler.

Somewhere down the road I'd maybe like to trade my 5th wheel in and get a Class A motorhome. But I love my Ram 3500 and it's my daily driver. So if I go the route of a Class A, can I flat-tow, trailer, dolly my Ram 3500? It weighs about 7,500 lbs and measures 22 ft nose to tail.

Here's a twist. I also love my motorcycle and my 5th wheel is a toy hauler. If I go the motorhome route, I don't want to give up space for a toy hauler garage again, so I was thinking I'd like to put the motorcycle in the bed of the truck as the truck is towed. The bike weighs 400 lbs.

So we're talking a combined weight of 7,900 lbs for a TOAD. Plus any trailer or dolly if that's what I would need.

Is this possible with a motorhome? What am I looking for in a motorhome that can do this? I'm guessing it will need to be a diesel for starters.

Check the towing guide or owner's manual, for if it can indeed, be towed four down. You didn't indicate the year, but here's a start... 2018 Dinghy towing
We have a tow rating of 15K lbs. so no problem for our DP and just as long as it's four down and has no hitch weight, since our rear axle is already at max and even though the hitch weight is rated at 1500lbs.
Just saying to be sure and check out what you buy. With ours, we have plenty of CCC and hauling specs. but even with a ton to the good, when fully loaded for travel, it's all at the front and like said, the rear is already at max. Not a problem for us, four down, even with your PU and bike, but if towing a heavy trailer, we'd have to have a hitch wheel or other to do this safely.
When it comes down to it and no matter what kind of hitch it has, the tranny is usually where there might be a problem and in your case, it needs to be an Allison 3000 at minimum. The engine at 10HP per foot, should be adequate, unless you insist on being king of the mountain.
Once you start looking for a coach and decide on a budget for it, you'll have to decide on whether or not, newness or some quality is in your budget goal. Unless you can command both, of course.
The budget and quality preference is foremost, when asking for this kind of advice about Motor Coaches.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Look like my truck is good to go for flat towing! Glad I got the 4WD model. Cannot flat tow the 2WD model.

From the user manual:

2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Can be done with the right hitch rated motorhome.
Rampage lift will put the bike in the truck with ease.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

js218
Explorer
Explorer
My Haulmark Super C has a tow tatting of 40,000 pounds, but it also has 600hp and tandem drive axles.
Jim
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
For your calculations, my dually weighs 8,800 per the CAT scale. Owner's manual says you can flat tow a Chevy Silverado so long as it has 4-wheel drive.

Most diesel pushers have a 10,000 tow rating but you really got to check the numbers on the cheaper ones to learn if they really can. As I recall, the American Coach series has/had a 15,000 tow rating. We had a Super C at my dealership with a 20,000 tow rating, so they're out there.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
scottkeen wrote:
rk911 wrote:

- the weight rating of your tow bar

I'm new to towing a vehicle (but not new to towing my RV trailer). Does a "tow bar" mean I would be flat-towing the truck instead of having the truck up on a trailer?

Is there a way to know if my truck can be flat-towed? There's a "Neutral" button on the 2WD/4WD selector.

check your owner's manual or call the mfg to be certain that your truck can be flat towed (preferred method) but generally speaking if a 4WD vehicle has a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case you can likely flat tow that vehicle. but don't assume...check!

if you tow on a dolly or trailer you must add their weight to the gross amount of weight you're towing. flat towing is best for lots of reasons. less weight to tow, virtually no tongue weight, no dealing with a 3rd wheeled vehicle at campgrounds.

you don't want to overload any of the axles on a motorhome and the sum of the gross axle weight ratings plus the tongue weight rating is usually equal to the gross vehicle weight rating. to flat tow a 7400-lb vehicle you'll need a hitch rating of at least 10,000-lbs (IMO, its best not to exceed 90% of the hitch rating), at least an 8,000-lb difference between the gross combination weight rating and the gross vehicle weigh rating and a tow bar capable of towing 10,000-lbs. you don't want to be towing right at the margins.

permit me to pass on some additional unsolicited advice...

as you shop you'll start encountering different weight ratings (google motorhome weight ratings). IMO they are mostly confusing and you only to worry about three weights:

- empty weight (as the motorhome is delivered from the dealer or factory). minimal fuel, empty waste, water and LP tanks, nothing else. this gives you a baseline.

- wet weight: full fuel, fresh water and LP tanks. nothing else

both of the above weights should be the sum of the individual axle weights.

the difference between each gross axle weight rating and the wet weight of each axle is the axle payload...the amount of weight in food, supplies, clothing, pets, people, etc. that can be added to the soecific axles without violating the gross axle weight rating of that axle.

- finally, your loaded or rolling weight. load up the MH as you would for a trip and then weigh it (again, individual axle weights). this ensures that none of the axles are overweight and you are less than or equal to the gross vehicle weight rating.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

I'm new to towing a vehicle (but not new to towing my RV trailer). Does a "tow bar" mean I would be flat-towing the truck instead of having the truck up on a trailer?

Is there a way to know if my truck can be flat-towed? There's a "Neutral" button on the 2WD/4WD selector.
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
a Super C or large diesel with a 10,000-lb hitch.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle