Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power drivers seat

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening class C owners,

Wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a C, and my question is about the drivers seat, and if the power option is worth it. I am thinking for longer drives, having the ability to move the seat up and down may make it more comfortable.

Being right at 6' , and the limited leg space on these Ford E450s, I'm just wondering if the power seat is worth the expense? or just go with the swivel ?

Thank you for any thoughts.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !
8 REPLIES 8

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

This person is a true RV'er. 1000 mile drive days!

It's really just an option. I mean once you get into a "comfy position" I don't see it as necessary. You should take several breaks while driving anyway especially if you are feeling like all your muscles need moving! Pull over, walk around, have a GPS that shows local parks and/or trails and see if you can jog around them.

Adjustable seats are ok and all, but all depends on how much $ for me.

The banzai runs are out of necessity, with too much work and no ability to delegate. Got another one coming up next month, having to cover an evening meeting on a Tuesday night and needing to be in Sebring, Florida 24 hours later. Me and the Class C will leave Rockland County, NY at around 9pm and with a 5 hour rest area nap should put me at the destination that day on the clock later. This unit is a good handler, and being a small no slide 24' house on a E450, is a set the cruise at 72 and just go with the flow of traffic driver. 8mpg at that pace too. But back on topic:

The power seat in the E450 I generally do not adjust much at all. It is back all the way on the fore-aft track; I do take advantage though of the adjustable base and rock it up at the front for added thigh support. I've had power seats in the family trucks dating back to 1999, and in those I will bump the slider, recliner or the base a just a bit to alternate seating position.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lumpty wrote:
My E450 Class C driver's seat has the optional OEM Ford 6-way power base. IMHO absolutely worth it given I frequently do 1000 mile driving days. No idea what Forest River charged for it; I bought the RV off the lot and it was one of a bunch of comfort/convenience options this unit had.

This person is a true RV'er. 1000 mile drive days!

It's really just an option. I mean once you get into a "comfy position" I don't see it as necessary. You should take several breaks while driving anyway especially if you are feeling like all your muscles need moving! Pull over, walk around, have a GPS that shows local parks and/or trails and see if you can jog around them.

Adjustable seats are ok and all, but all depends on how much $ for me.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'm going with the power seats, and hopefully it will provide some additional comfort! Also, it will be a benefit to DW who is just under 5'. One of the main reasons we are going C over a smaller A is her assuring me she will drive the C if needed, and wants nothing to do driving an A.........not to mention we have under roof parking for a C !

Thank you all again !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have one, but we've had that feature in some of our cars and it's nice. NEVER FORGET the Safety Factor!!! You can safely adjust a POWER SEAT with the vehicle in motion. Don't Ever Do That with a Manual Seat. When you adjust a manual seat fore and aft or the back rest angle, the mechanism goes into free fall with possible nasty consequences.

That said, I'm sure the power seat base from some popular Ford vehicle could be bolted in then just wired with a simple switch or switches. Unless, maybe, it calls for a shorter metal seat base/pedestal. That guy might be hard to find.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the Ford power drivers seat, you will not regret it. The adjustability is almost limitless and it enables almost anyone to get {and stay}, very comfortable even on long days.

If you are over 6' tall or the first number when you get on the scale is larger than 1 you may find the Ford C's {E-350/450}, a little snug and the power seat will help a lot. Also know that if you have a slide that comes in directly behind the drivers seat your ability to slide the seat back and/or recline will probably be limited.

:C

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
My E450 Class C driver's seat has the optional OEM Ford 6-way power base. IMHO absolutely worth it given I frequently do 1000 mile driving days. No idea what Forest River charged for it; I bought the RV off the lot and it was one of a bunch of comfort/convenience options this unit had.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the stock seats on my Class C (Ford) and survived. The electric adjustable that I now have on my DP is worth every penny. The ability to change your position and height on a long trip is great. If you are the get out and stretch ever hour type of driver, you might do ok with the stock seats. Just my 2 Pesos worth. JH

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
I found the drivers seat in the E450 to be a little to low so I raised it 1.5 inches. I am 6ft 3in and the added height made it more comfortable. Don't think I would need an adjustable seat. For me the added cost would exceed the benefit.

Every one is different.