cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Gear Failure - Slideout

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
I was folding up camp, started to retract my bedroom slide out, heard a pop and the slide out stopped working. Lifted the mattress off, went under the mattress platform and the Power Gear motor had literally blown apart at the housing. I was able with ease to hand crank the slide in with a 3/4" socket and ratchet.

I understand these motors are sold as a unit and can only be purchased through a dealer as Power Gear does not sell direct or replacement parts. They seem quite pricey. 750.00 to 900 dollars.

Questions are: Anyone replaced one of the these? Where is a good place to buy? Difficult to replace? Hints, tips, advice etc.

Thanks in advance.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA
10 REPLIES 10

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
All, thanks for the positive and helpful comments and suggestions. I will keep you posted as I progress on the repair.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Visone RV sells used ones, they are in KY. yhey are a salvage co. Phone 606-843-9889. hope this helps.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
just a suggestion in case you haven't thought of it, make sure the slide goes in and out freely before replacing the motor. It sounds like you were able to operate the slide manually so might not be a problem, but something made that motor blow up, double check that nothing is blocking the slide. Good Luck
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

wkmeup2
Explorer
Explorer
In my personal experience, I searched & did find the phone number for Power Gear, called & told them my problem & they sent me a new motor, switch & relay (cod of course), within 3 days, and I replaced it myself.It still came out cheaper than going through Camping World. Just fyi.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
The more I read about newer MH s. with the slides and other modern technology , the more I am happy with my 20 year old unit. I don't seem to have half the problems that are posted here.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had my gearbox go out- took it apart and found that a shaft had wallowed out a bearing causing the gear to break a couple teeth. Powergear would provide me with the parts I needed, they would sell me a new unit for about $800..... I searched around and found what I needed to repair it.
Get the part #'s off it and call Armondo @ 352-351-0759 .... it was about 3 years ago when I was at his place, but he literally had a room full of motors/gearboxes mostly used but also new stock he had bought from dealers that had gone out of business and he had super good prices
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We had our DS bedroom slide Power Gear gear box blow apart in the summer of 2010. At the time of the replacement the cost was $480 for the motor and gear box assembly including labor and tax. The gearhead must be bought with the motor as the Kwikee Step motor/gear assembly which is also a product of this company.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
A little searching and research on EBAY can go a long way too. If you have the motors part number say off a sticker, try entering just the part number on EBAY. I've done that and found a number of hard to find parts I was looking for.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Problem here is as with most companies like PowerGear...they buy the motors from someone...and it's difficult if not impossible to find out who...but I speculate if you COULD find the original supplier things would be alot cheaper. (Like the Quickee step motors....supposed to be a Ford power window motor from NAPA.)

Sometimes, taking an electric motor to a electrical shop, it can be rebuilt...and that will be alot cheaper than buying new...IF it can be rebuilt.

just my 2 cents.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one from a local RV repair shop and negotiated a good price. The mark up on these motors is unreal. 100%+
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee