cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure washing the batt compartment

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Any tips to help safely clean my DP batt compartment? What to avoid, what to use, etc.
17 REPLIES 17

Silver_Eagle_94
Explorer
Explorer
Big bottle Coca=Cola not diet no pepsi,pour it on let set hose off gently, been useing it for years,

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine over concrete and it made rust, but I was able to remove the rust later from the concrete!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

DaveKirby
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful not to over spray in the battery compartment. Usually there are many electronic controllers located in these compartments, and if they get watered, they will short out. Like the aforementioned posts....remove batteries, or flood and wipe
Dave and Diane

flfulltimerwinn
Explorer
Explorer
a lot of good info here. Purple protector stuff? what are the ratios for baking soda and h20 mix and baking soda & vinegar? If I may ask.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
My choice is baking soda and vineager on the on the terminals. Let it do it's
thing and hose the area down afterwards. Usually spray with WD40 after.works for us.
Sometimes we over think things.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I have removed the rust color from concrete, but it's a chore. I would not pressure wash as noted above it can hit the exterior paint and do damage, why do I know? guess!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have 6 batteries in my compartment. I use a hose with low pressure/flow and flood the batteries and the tray. Then I pour baking soda on the batteries and the areas of the tray i can get to. Wait 30 minutes and wash down the whole thing. Coach now 10 years old, tray and batteries look new. When the batteries dry I spray the terminals with purple protector stuff, that's it.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Freightguy wrote:
Dont do it on concrete or any porous surface. Concrete will stain a rust color with-in hours.

Yes sir, I know your right.
Stained the heck out of my shop concrete washing the bother~inlaws golf kart batterys.
Neil

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dont do it on concrete or any porous surface. Concrete will stain a rust color with-in hours.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Just use a water hose to wash any acid off batteries.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips guys I'll put my press washer away.

tratterboy1
Explorer
Explorer
Old trick for top post batteries is put a penny next to each post,costly I know ,but it will keep your posts "green gunk" free.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of batteries? I can (and have) power washed my AGM's and my sealed gel cells but I would be concerned about a wet cell battery bank. I don't pay much attention to my AGM's these days as they are in a separate compartment but I wash my starting batteries on a regular basis. I also periodically (once a year or so) remove the brass nuts, clean, and reinstall. I use no special sprays or compounds but it things go sideways for some reason I so use some baking soda and water to clean up all of my connections. This is generally unnecessary with sealed batteries but needed more frequently with wet cells.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I would remove the batteries before a pressure wash.
I would wait for a warm day for fast dry time.

good point. I was assuming the batteries were already taken out and the compartment is empty..:B
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!