cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with a Jayco Seneca that I was going to buy

BroncoBev
Explorer
Explorer
I found a Jayco Seneca Class C for a really good price - higher mileage but not bad mileage - and went to look at it. It looked nothing like the photos. Lots of dings and scratches outside, older tires, Lots of scratches and things inside, dings, drawers not sitting right. The kitchen slide makes this god-awful noise when it's brought in. I told them I was coming to see it and they said it would be in the shop getting a PDI and everything until today. So I went to day. It's dirty inside - in the drawers, under the sink. Lots of jury-rigged stuff like the screen door. The most concerning thing is that there is a separation between the floor and the wall in the bathroom. I have wanted a Jayco Seneca HD for 9 years. I want this rig. BAD. But I cannot afford to fix things and I can't get an extended warranty because it adds too much to the loan I'm getting for it and Good Sam won't warranty anything over 109k miles. The engine wouldn't be covered no matter what - by Good Sam or an extended warranty. I'd just like to know what you Jayco Seneca HD owners think about the problems I've listed and if they'd be deal breakers. What would you look for? What should I put on my checklist? Thank you very much.
Bronco Bev
2005 Allegro Bus 40QDP
2004 Jeep Liberty
Skye, Roo, Cocoa and Bo
20 REPLIES 20

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
It's unanimous! Take your time, don't buy on impulse and have the thrill replaced with buyer's remorse. Wow, I just looked at the wide range of asking prices for 2006's up to present. Lots of room for bargaining but you had better know market values of years, models, floor plans, and options as well as loans available. If you buy used, of course have a qualified RV repair service and diesel truck mechanic inspect rig and give you a written estimate of repairs and services, parts and labor, needed. Get any promises of fixes/upgrades by a dealer on the sales contract.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Bronco Bev:
If you really want this unit"BAD", you'll get it "BAD"! Seems like some neanderthal and his family probably lived in this rv for a long time. One other thing that was not mentioned so far is, can you just imagine what kind of stuff is lurking in the holding tanks, refrigerator, toilet, plumbing and hvac systems?

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
Explorer1016 wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
New tires for a Seneca will cost close to $3k.

Those prices sound very high Ron. I replaced my drive axle tires this year with 19.5-14 ply (G rating) Toyo M920 for closer to $300/each. Mount, liquid balance, no tire waste fee because i kept the take offs and sold them.

The Seneca's require bigger tires than your Host. They have 245 tires with a H rating (16 ply).

Makes sense. F 550 only uses 225/70's. Anxiously awaiting the new GM/Navistar offerings to see what they come up with. 2018 I believe. I'm a GM guy from childhood but no one offered 4x4 when I bought mine other than EarthRoamer and they are way out of my price range and they are small inside.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

ronfisherman
Explorer1016 wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:

Those prices sound very high Ron. I replaced my drive axle tires this year with 19.5-14 ply (G rating) Toyo M920 for closer to $300/each. Mount, liquid balance, no tire waste fee because i kept the take offs and sold them.

The Seneca's require bigger tires than your Host. They have 245 tires with a H rating (16 ply).
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
The Toyo tire is good quality rubber as is Michelin but at a higher price. I'm not retired so my rug doesn't get as many miles a year as some other folks put on their rigs. My tires will hit their end of use shelf life before they wear out so buying the Michelin is not good economic sense for my situation.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

BEVAR
Explorer
Explorer
$3,000 is right on the money for new Seneca tires if you put on quality rubber. I just turned 100,000 miles and put my 3rd set of XZEs on it. $500 bucks a pop...more or less. Our kitchen slide sometimes howls when going in or out...its the rubber seal not flexing in the direction of slide movement...no big deal.

The rest...that is disturbing.

Boli

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't sound like a good deal. I'd pass, just because I have a gut feeling you will be inheriting someone else's engine/transmission issues and other problems.

I'd also check for water damage... if there is -any-, run. Especially with a slide mechanism that doesn't seem to be that noisy.

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:

2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 foot pole.

If the inside & structure are that beat up, do you really think the drive train has been taken care of?

I wouldn't touch that deal with SOMEBODY ELSE'S 10 foot pole!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
This is an easy decision: yes, run fast and far from this mess!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You already know that there WILL be repairs: wall/floor; slide; cosmetic.

You already know you can't afford to fix things if you buy it.

So walk away. Don't let your wants override your common sense. Wait for the right deal to come along - otherwise, you'll be miserable.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
What everybody else said, FORGET ABOUT THAT P.O.S.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
How much are you willing to spend on a whim, fixing engine, transmission, brakes, slide, interior carpentry, 18000, 20000 or more?

In the end you still have a pile of junk that someone else trashed.

FORGET THIS ONE

navegator

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
On the Jayco Owner's Forum, most posters are very happy with their Senecas. But, I do't care what brand it is. I'd never consider buying one with that many problems, especially potential structural issues. I'd suggest that you keep looking.

Good luck.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc