cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank inside or outside of RV?

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking my class C (27') up to the mountains this weekend where there will be no electrical hookups. I'm using my recently purchased Camco Wave 6 cat heater. On previous trips, I cracked a window and ran the propane hose outside to a 20 lb propane tank. But recently, started having problems with regulator freezing on the tank that I suspect was cutting off gas to the Wave 6 heater.

Can you all remind me what the risks are of keeping the tank inside the RV? Is it a gas leak issue, explosive issue? I've seen some folks build a small compartment for the propane tank and keep it inside.

Thanks all!
29 REPLIES 29

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased and use the portable buddy which uses the 1 lb cylinder propane inside the RV. Works well except the little tanks last only about 4 hours on low. The portable buddy is made to be use in the inside with of course a vent open to allow fresh air. If using outside you can connect to a regular 20 lb tank. The little heater works quites well.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
LP tanks now have a float inside so only vapor can leave the tank.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my regulator froze up at 3AM i asked my wife to grab her hair dryer and go outside to thaw it. Thatโ€™s how got that black eye. So now i use two wool socks on the regulator.

I used my TC for snowmobiling and used a 30# tank outside in addition to my onboard tanks.
At -30F I had a regulator freeze up on me stopping the gas flow into my camper. I thawed the regulator using a hair dryer and that kicked things back to life within minutes.

Since that one time, i now wrap wool insulation around the regulator only and use something to block the wind from hitting the tank and regulator directly.

I was told there is a diaphragm inside the regulator than can sometimes freeze up and sometimes crack. LP techs had to thaw regulators at the campground heated bathhouse as well. The tech told me it happens often enough during low temps and the right wind conditions. I always carry a spare regulator in case the diaphragm does crack. But thatโ€™s rare.

On travel trailers they usually have LP tank covers and are less likely to freeze up. But many other people packed their TT tank regulators with wool wraps just to play it safe.

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
rvtwerner wrote:
Question - I read in another post that storing or leaving a propane tank on its side instead of standing up can also lead to loss of pressure. For our trip to Mt. Baker, I believe I actually did store the tanks on their sides in my RV storage box before standing them up for the fire. Any truth to this?

If you used it right away, or hooked it up right away there is a chance that that some liquid got mixed in the regulator, that could have effected stuff.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
touchรฉ

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inside or outside, I really see no difference in outcome if my tanks blow up. I have 80 lbs of propane located directly under my bed in our 5th wheel "outside". Right where the manufacturer put it.
Inside there could be the chance of asphyxiation if there is a leak.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer
At any rate, my question has been answered. I'll keep the Wave 6 mounted where it is with hose going outside to 20 lb propane tank. Crack a window and 1-2 open ceiling vents. Eventually, if I keep this RV long term or next RV, I'll look into attaching it to the RV propane line - though I do like the portability of my current solution.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvtwerner wrote:
Question - I read in another post that storing or leaving a propane tank on its side instead of standing up can also lead to loss of pressure. For our trip to Mt. Baker, I believe I actually did store the tanks on their sides in my RV storage box before standing them up for the fire. Any truth to this?
No loss of pressure. The cylinder is designed to operate upright so that no liquid propane is released through the normal port or the emergency release. There are cylinders designed to lay on their side... these are often used in a TC due to limited space.

rvtwerner
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seon wrote:
Throw a blank over the tank and leave it outside. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As propane gas is drawn off the liquid inside the tank boils--drawing heat from the atmosphere. If a blanket were thrown over the tank it makes it harder for the tank to stay warm enough to produce the needed volume of propane gas.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Throw a blank over the tank and leave it outside. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
Here is one explanation of cold and propane.

The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest temperature recorded in Newburgh is -20?F. So thereโ€™s not much reason to be concerned about your propane freezing.

But thatโ€™s not the end of the story.

While itโ€™s unlikely your propane will freeze here, it can still be affected by very cold temperatures. Propane contracts when itโ€™s cold. When itโ€™s extremely cold outside, the volume of propane inside your aboveground propane tank will shrink, which creates a loss of pressure. The problem is, if the pressure becomes too low, the propane inside your tank will not be able to reach your gas burner. That means you may not be able to run your propane appliances, including your furnace or boiler, which can be very problematic in severe cold.

Good info. While freezing maybe the wrong term. Propane flow can be dramatically impacted by cold temps.
Describing the impact as freezing is easier for the novice to understand vs. stating propane "contracts" in the cold weather.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Propane actually does freeze solid at -306.4F. Below that you could skip the bucket and carry it as a brick. Wear gloves ๐Ÿ˜‰

It would be easier to just carry it around in a pail at anything less than -44 F. at which point it stops boiling and is a stable liquid like water.

Easier on the hands too. LOL.