cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pull-out trays for pass-thru storage?

davesparks2001
Explorer
Explorer
Our "new to us" 1999 Damon Intruder has pass thru storage in the baggage area but no pull-out trays. I called my local rv salvage guy to see if he had any but no luck. I did a little online shopping and saw prices that made me say, no way. Any body out there ever made any yourself. I'm, considering it and thought I'd see if anyone has any input first.
24 REPLIES 24

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a MORryde Sliding Tray in mine. Mine is a full-thru tray which can be pulled out from either side. It came fully assembled. DW and I installed it in about 20-30 minutes. Here's a link:

MORstor Sliding Trays by MORryde
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the poster that suggested slides waste space due to the rig rails, well not for me for several reasons.
1. The slide holds the standard rectangular plastic storage bins and then as desired a same footprint 6" high storage bin.
2. Everything is easy to get to - before the slide I was emptying the center ones to the outside for easier access.
3. I use the space alongside and under the slide for hose, cords, big tools, etc.

In summary for me I actually can carry more with easier access.

Plus for one storage area I added a shelf just above the plastic storage boxes which works well for chairs etc. and adds about 5+' of storage across the rig.

Just saying....
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
The only thing that would make them better is if they were electric...push a button they come out...push it again and it goes in....(sigh)...Dennis
That was a dream of mine! :R

But how? Rack and pinion or chain drive or? :@ And complicated by dual acting slides and present locking mechanisms. :h

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only thing that would make them better is if they were electric...push a button they come out...push it again and it goes in....(sigh)...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
keurig wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
I've had two DP's with sliding trays and PERSONALLY haven't seen the value in them. Most things I store, from each side, extend to the center of the coach. I can easily reach what I need and can count on one hand how many times I've actually pulled the tray out.

My current coach bay isn't as tall as my previous coach. As "prstlk" stated, you have to keep the height on each side, lower than the center rail height.

I know many love them and they may be better for someone who unloads a lot of gear when camping. My suggestion would be try the coach for awhile and see if you really need the tray.

And I after owning one with 2 slide out trays would never have a MH without them.To each their own as they say
Now Back to what the OP asked in the first place
I don't think you could make a decent set of 8 ft joey trays without considerable fabricating skills and $$$$$
X2

Bob

keurig
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I've had two DP's with sliding trays and PERSONALLY haven't seen the value in them. Most things I store, from each side, extend to the center of the coach. I can easily reach what I need and can count on one hand how many times I've actually pulled the tray out.

My current coach bay isn't as tall as my previous coach. As "prstlk" stated, you have to keep the height on each side, lower than the center rail height.

I know many love them and they may be better for someone who unloads a lot of gear when camping. My suggestion would be try the coach for awhile and see if you really need the tray.

And I after owning one with 2 slide out trays would never have a MH without them.To each their own as they say
Now Back to what the OP asked in the first place
I don't think you could make a decent set of 8 ft joey trays without considerable fabricating skills and $$$$$

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one without and one with full X slides.Although I would not remove them from the rig I have now I would not pay to have them installed on the next rig (if there is one) Here are some things to consider.
Good stuff

If you have health or mobility issues they are a must. I'm lucky as I can crawl in an RV belly all day.
They make it easier to access the basement stuff when the slides are out.

Bad Stuff

You lose 3 inches of storage for slide clearance and the tray. May not seem like much but if your basement is 8 ftx16 ft that's 128 sqft so you just lost a great deal of storage
There is gap between the trays depending on the coach and door spacing. You can store things there but whatever I put there always seems to catch the tray on one end or the other. You also lose the space between the slide and the walls. Not huge but space is space.
Most rigs also have a center frame rail in my coach it's a little over 2 ft and hangs down 16 inches. So on either side you can't place items higher the center rail or the stuff will hit and not allow the cargo slide to move to the opposite side.

On my last coach we had a flat floor in the basement, used clear containers that allowed for different ceiling heights and found this method not only gave us more storage but it was easier to find stuff.

jsayin
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a company that will custom build a slide and ship it to you. They have many options in aluminum and steel, 1 sided and all the way through. clicky. They will build to fit your needs. They may even sell you the slides only, do not know. I am not affiliated with the company. Same company Dennis referred to above, he beat me to it. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then there's the weight thing too....structually, aluminum and wood work well but wood is much heavier.

You may want to check out the slidemaster from Innovative Industries.....Dennis

SlideMaster

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
keurig wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
keurig wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
I have not done it, but it does not sound like too complex of a project if you made it out of wood. The only expensive part would be finding the draw slide mechanism's. They can't be cheap.

well in reality it actually is a fairly complex project.If you make them out of wood by the time you get it all said and done there heavy and bulky and you loose a lot of floor space/
Make them metal like the ones you buy and I doubt you save a dollar
plus you really have to know how to weld and fabricate etc
Like I suggested the short small one are not a big deal but the 4x8 units are pretty complex and more than the average Rver could manage

Wouldn't be for me, then again I own a woodshop. Wood is going to be thicker than metal, but the difference in thickness is not going to take up a huge amount of space. No welding or fabrication skills required with wood. I'd use a combination of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood to make it. I'd make the bottom out of 1/2" ply and the sides of the drawer from 3/4" to make sure it was rigid. I'd then want some type of drawer slide that mounted to the bottom of the drawer to help support the weight better. It can be done.

yes can be done, no one said it cant but its a little more complex than what you opine.
A 4X8 plywood joey bed also requires a pretty hefty roller system
which is a lot more than a simple drawer system
and these in turn are heavy in weight etc.Also be it wood or metal or a combination(as in this case) it does require fabrication skills

You saw the part where I covered the issues with the drawer slides and even posted a link to price of some of them didn't you? You're trying to correct me by saying exactly what I said.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Visone RV Salvage. I believe they are located in KY. They have used slide out storage from wrecks they are salvaging. Easy to work with. A friend in Ca. ordered some (used) from them. They ship only the rails and hardware. You come up with the felt or whatever you want for covering and the plywood for the bottom cut to your compartment measurements.
jwmII

keurig
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
keurig wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
I have not done it, but it does not sound like too complex of a project if you made it out of wood. The only expensive part would be finding the draw slide mechanism's. They can't be cheap.

well in reality it actually is a fairly complex project.If you make them out of wood by the time you get it all said and done there heavy and bulky and you loose a lot of floor space/
Like I suggested the short small one are not a big deal but the 4x8 units are pretty complex and more than the average Rver could manage

Wouldn't be for me, then again I own a woodshop. Wood is going to be thicker than metal, but the difference in thickness is not going to take up a huge amount of space. No welding or fabrication skills required with wood. I'd use a combination of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood to make it. I'd make the bottom out of 1/2" ply and the sides of the drawer from 3/4" to make sure it was rigid. I'd then want some type of drawer slide that mounted to the bottom of the drawer to help support the weight better. It can be done.

yes can be done, no one said it cant but its a little more complex than what you opine.
A 4X8 plywood joey bed also requires a pretty hefty roller system
which is a lot more than a simple drawer system
and these in turn are heavy in weight etc.Also be it wood or metal or a combination(as in this case) it does require fabrication skills

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
keurig wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4