cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing Diesel Fuel from First Nations Retailer

cwenger
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased diesel fuel from a First Nations/Native American proprietor in Canada when my 100 gal tank was about ½ full. I expected that about 200 liters would fill the tank. Instead, it took 240 liters to fill.

I know that First Nations people operate under different laws than the rest of us. My first question is, are First Nations retail fuel sellers subject to the same inspection and calibrations of their fuel pumps as other fuel retailers in Canada?

My second question is, does anyone else think that they may have received less fuel than they paid for at a First Nations/Native American fuel retailer?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.
6 REPLIES 6

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
All fuel pumps in canada are subject to inspections and calibrations. You will see a tag on the pump stating the date of the last inspection. I can't think of many things that are less accurate than a fuel gauge in a motorhome.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
".......when my 100 gal tank was about ½ full"

About :H
Was it 1/2 full or was it closer to 2/3 empty.
What do you use for fuel gauge?
When did you have it last calibrated.

200 liters (52.8 gallons)--240 liters (63.4 gallons)
Your method of measurement is probably the less accurate

I put 32 gallons in my 35 gallon tank today......gauge read just under 1/4 prior (7-8 gallons)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
cwenger wrote:
I recently purchased diesel fuel from a First Nations/Native American proprietor in Canada when my 100 gal tank was about ½ full. I expected that about 200 liters would fill the tank. Instead, it took 240 liters to fill.

I know that First Nations people operate under different laws than the rest of us. My first question is, are First Nations retail fuel sellers subject to the same inspection and calibrations of their fuel pumps as other fuel retailers in Canada?

My second question is, does anyone else think that they may have received less fuel than they paid for at a First Nations/Native American fuel retailer?

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.

Seeing as their taxes are lower the liters must therefor be smaller.I know for sure their cigarettes are shorter,or they are still using Queen Victoria era liters.Just kidding, I am sure they abide by Canadian Tariff and trade regulations.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can you fill a 5 gallon container at First Nations?

If you can, go to a regular diesel pump and mark the level after you put in 5 gallons, or however many liters.
Then use the marked container to see if you get less than 5 gallons at First Nations.

The difference may be small with 5 gallons but, it will add up when pumping 200 liters.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel gages are not know to be accurate. If your tank is round or any shape other than square box the gage is even more inaccurate. The gage only measure the height of fuel from top to bottom. To be off by 40 liters or apx 10 gallons is within the margin of error. That is my experience from putting fuel in a semi all these years. Heck I had one truck I could drive 300 miles before the needle even came off full. I had twin 120 gal tanks and the mechanic calibrated as he would twin 100 gal. tanks which was the company norm. I had to burn 40+ gallons before the gage would even start to move.

I'm sure if you look you will find a "weights and measure" sticker certifying the pump.

Safe travels
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, their pumps are the same as everyone else.

No, I go to their pumps because they don't pay the same taxes in Canada, so they can offer fuel for less. First Nations people pay less, but I believe they split their profits and hopefully sell more fuel by offering a better price.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel