cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quikee Step problem

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Newmar Kountry Star with Quickee step (2 steps). I have noticed it operating sporadically for some time. At first, I thought it was the sensor on the door, because I could clean the plug on the door and on the wall and the step would operate. But then, it got to the point where cleaning no longer worked. I took the plugs out, cleaned the debris (metal) off of the magnet, and made sure the pickup in the wall was clean. Didn't work. I checked the plug underneath going to the motor device and couldn't find anything wrong. It has 12v going to the motor, but not operating the motor, so electric isn't an issue.
When it was working, I did not detect any sign of hangup, rubbing or any interference with the steps opening.
Has anybody had this issue? What did you do to correct it? Any help appreciated.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

46 REPLIES 46

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
Removed the motor case. Turned the rotor manually. Motor gear turned normally. Reattached motor and gear to step gear. Turned rotor manually, both directions. Step arm moved back and forth just fine. Motor guts look fine, but I have no idea what normal brush wear looks like? But, the mentioned 94% seem to be on target.
So, next question(s). These servo motor assemblies online look just like what I have. But, are the gears universal? Are the mounting holes? If not, how do I know which item to purchase?

Did I not already mention, to match it up with one that's pictured on Amazon and I do mean exactly. Doing that insures that it will work....WINDOW MOTORS
STEP MOTORS
Typically you can find one and the same for either window or step, with the price being the only difference.

You did. Mea culpa.
I’ll start the search now.

🙂

Ok,...I purchased the Dorman 742-210 motor you suggested from Amazon. Last one they had.
It arrived, I compared it to the original, they looked like clones. But, when I tried to attach it to actuator gear it didn’t fit. Turns out the new gears were about a nanometer too long, the shaft too. But, I dressed them down with my Dremel. Fits like a glove.
Tested it, worked perfectly.
Hooked it up this am, door moves in and out like brand new. Buttoned everything up. Good to go. Thanks for the motor link! You, and this forum saved me a fortune!!

:B

Glad you were successful and a little ingenuity can go a long way.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
Removed the motor case. Turned the rotor manually. Motor gear turned normally. Reattached motor and gear to step gear. Turned rotor manually, both directions. Step arm moved back and forth just fine. Motor guts look fine, but I have no idea what normal brush wear looks like? But, the mentioned 94% seem to be on target.
So, next question(s). These servo motor assemblies online look just like what I have. But, are the gears universal? Are the mounting holes? If not, how do I know which item to purchase?

Did I not already mention, to match it up with one that's pictured on Amazon and I do mean exactly. Doing that insures that it will work....WINDOW MOTORS
STEP MOTORS
Typically you can find one and the same for either window or step, with the price being the only difference.

You did. Mea culpa.

🙂

Ok,...I purchased the Dorman 742-210 motor you suggested from Amazon. Last one they had.
It arrived, I compared it to the original, they looked like clones. But, when I tried to attach it to actuator gear it didn’t fit. Turns out the new gears were about a nanometer too long, the shaft too. But, I dressed them down with my Dremel. Fits like a glove.
Tested it, worked perfectly.
Hooked it up this am, door moves in and out like brand new. Buttoned everything up. Good to go. Thanks for the motor link! You, and this forum saved me a fortune!!

:B

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:

STEP MOTORS

You did. Mea culpa.

🙂

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be low voltage. The OP mentioned he had 12V, but did he actually measure it at 12V or just continuity?

My house batteries were low, causing the problem. Once I replaced the house batteries, problem solved.

I suggest you measure the actual voltage, if you haven't already.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:

STEP MOTORS
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Gottahaveit wrote:
Just replace the motor..its a cheap fix. If that doesn't work your only out about $70 and you have a spare. 94% of us tell you its the motor. Or you can keep on playing with it and let us know what the outcome was :R

I agree. But, I’m going to have to get the cotter pin out and drop the steps regardless. As it stands now I can’t get to the motor.
Currently, we’re on the road. However, we head home today and I have two weeks before we go out again. Hopefully I’ll have it apart by later today or tomorrow.
Stay tuned?

:h

Addendum:
Ok,...took about an hour.
I removed three of the four nuts that hold the motor assembly, and loosed the fourth. This was the hardest/longest part. Not a lot of room to work and those nuts had been in there a while. The motor and steps dropped enough at the front that I could now get my hand and a pair of needle nosed pliers inside. Removed the pin. The steps dropped right down. Swing like new. I then removed the fourth motor nut, and extracted the motor. Hooked it to my 12v battery charger. No movement either way. Next I’m going to remove the motor from the gearbox.
But, after being away for a week, and having it rain here every day, I had about 3 hours of lawn mowing to do before the thunderstorms move in again. Back at it tomorrow.
I want to thank everyone for their assistance with this. It isn’t fixed yet, but the prognosis looks really good.

Gottahaveit
Just replace the motor..its a cheap fix. If that doesn't work your only out about $70 and you have a spare. 94% of us tell you its the motor. Or you can keep on playing with it and let us know what the outcome was :R
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am not sure it is a bad motor!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
O.K.,...I have a similar issue, but in my case the steps on my 1996 Itasca Suncruiser are stuck in the retracted position.
For years they would stick either open or closed periodically, but after opening the door a few times, or driving a few miles they would work fine for months. Now, I think whatever the issue was/is has finally decided it’s had enough?
I’ve tried whacking everything I could whack. I cleaned the green ground wire connection. Nope. And, I have always kept everything well lubricated.
The odd thing is, the step light comes on when the door opens and I can hear the relay clicking.
I downloaded and printed off the Kwikee test manuals. All the connections test as they should, but the white wire and brown wire results are reversed. I’ve read this may be true on some earlier models? This unit is a Series 32 and has the old, yellow #909513 controller box.
I tried to jump the motor using one of the house batteries. I disconnected the main, 4 lead plug to the controller, but did not disconnect the motor wires from the controller box. I just opened the odd looking in-line connector. But, all I managed to do was blow the 20 amp fuse in my test wire from the battery to the motor red lead.
I just ordered the Kwikee, 4-way test plug from Amazon. I haven’t given up yet. I’d prefer to fix this, rather than install a bypass switch.
But, I’m at a loss. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,
Jack

Go on line and find a complete IGLM setup and replace the controller, and everthing else in the kit. You just need to get either the linkage disconnected or remove the gearbox, linkage and motor all at once. The four mounting bolts should be accessable with a rig that old. If you send pictures it might help us to guide you. Ps start a new thread so as not to confuse the two problems.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Disconnect the linkage from the motor.
You should have done this before trying to test motor to insure that the step is not bound up!

I would have, but I’m not sure how to access the cotter pin since the steps are retracted?

Remove the mounting screws from the motor ass'y and drop it down.
This should allow some movement of the steps and help you with removing the cotter pin from the actuating arm.
Once removed, set it on your desk and match it up with a power window unit from Amazon. This should save you some bucks above, going with a step motor, which is exactly the same and what they use.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Been Out!
The motor hum sounds more like the steps or linkage is bound up.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Try using a bar to pry step away from frame. It should move somewhat. Maybe enough to get to pin or nut on motor assembly.Fight to get apart, going together should be easier.

Yes, I had that thought. I don’t see another option. Whether the issue is the motor or frozen steps, I need to get the linkage disconnected and the steps open.
I can’t believe nobody else has had this problem? And, I also can’t believe that Kwikee or Winnebago didn’t engineer this better. :S

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Try using a bar to pry step away from frame. It should move somewhat. Maybe enough to get to pin or nut on motor assembly.Fight to get apart, going together should be easier.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow