cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"White" Hose gets Kink and is Hard to Handle

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
The "white" hose we use for fresh water is so stiff it's hard to handle. We've used it for several years, so age hasn't made it more flexible. All those we've seen in the stores are about the same. Are they all that way?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
18 REPLIES 18

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I use the white stiffy ones at home and leave them there.

On the road I use a compact roll-up fabric style hose. (Handy-Hose is mine). I accept that they are not as sturdy as the standard hoses, but space is at a premium in my RT, and these fit very well.

candlback
Explorer
Explorer
I always coil my hose in the same direction. My grandpa said coil a hose clockwise every time to avoid kinks.
Candlback

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
When buying a hose to drink from just be sure it does not say "Made in China", as most of the hoses in the cut-rate stores are. The simple fact that it is white is no guarantee that it is safe to drink from. Any material coming from any Asian country is suspect to me. There have been too many examples brought to light about the unscrupulous manufacturing methods and advertising untruths by companies operating there.
Buy American!
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the springy hose's are safe. Check RV stores. I was taught to pour a bleach solution into the hose, connect the ends and let it sit for a few hours. Then flush it well. I used to do that periodically as well as cleaning the holding tank.
Wayne

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses - will take a trip to the hardware store.
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I threw out all I knew about the safety of hoses the first time I stayed in Florida.

I went to use the potable water hose at a friends where I was parked. Green specs came out. The owner said yup, that's what happens to the "inside" of a hose left outside in the sun. GREEN MOLD.

I cut open my hose that I had sitting outside from spigot to tank. The entire inside of the hose was coated with green slimy mold. Google it, it's not good. Yet another reason I don't drink from an enclosed holding tank that takes on the ambient temperature of the outside air for water.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
lucytravel12 wrote:
I thought we were supposed to have a special RV "White" hose - can we just buy any decent hose?
With any hose, if it's left out baking in the sun with water in it, the first water to come in will smell of hose. The white hoses just have less smell.

Personally I use my tank almost 100%, so no stinky hose water.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walmart, to the RV section and pick up one of their white hoses marked "for Drinking water". Get one no more than 25 feet, as the longer it is the harder it is to handle. After each use, drain it as you coil it back up, there is a blue stripe that shows how it should be coiled. After draining and coiling, attach the two ends together to keep bugs and critters out, then just store it in one of your bins. I have a "Y" connector and a regulator on the end that attaches to the faucet, and that stays on the hose all the time.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the coiled, springy hoses. It says Not Safe For Drinking Water, and I do drink the tap water. Does it really make a big difference???
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
An easy answer is the coiled springy type. We have used one for years. Never kinks, coils itself and takes up little room. If you park in one spot for the summer it might not be as convenient as it does not lay flat on the ground.
Wayne

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
lucytravel12 wrote:
I thought we were supposed to have a special RV "White" hose - can we just buy any decent hose?
\

It's not so much an "RV" hose as it means any water hose marked for 'safe for drinking water'. And are usually white to denote that.

These hoses are 'supposed' to have no lead in them. Garden hoses are allowed to have lead.

If you don't drink from your RV fresh water tank (I do not) it doesn't make any difference what type of hose you use! :W

Never heard about lead in hoses before. I always thought the white drinking water hose was simply designed to avoid making the water taste like it came through a garden hose.

It is also nice to have white hose for drinking water, and green hose for other uses, such as washing or as a grey water hose. Even better if you can find grey colored hose!

broken_axle
Explorer
Explorer
We are seasonal campers and I find that when I buy a new hose I cut it to the length I need to reach my fittings and then there is no extra to kink. Our campground lease says it is state law in Mi. You must use a white hose to connect your camper to their taps. I just buy a cheap 5/8" hose (less water restriction) and replace it every year. We have very hard water in our campground and found that if i don't replace it yearly the rust that accumulates on the inside of the hose flakes off and gets into the faucet aireators.
31 jayco bhs
2007 GMC 2500HD duramax diesel w/ allison tranny

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
lucytravel12 wrote:
\

It's not so much an "RV" hose as it means any water hose marked for 'safe for drinking water'. And are usually white to denote that.

These hoses are 'supposed' to have no lead in them. Garden hoses are allowed to have lead.

If you don't drink from your RV fresh water tank (I do not) it doesn't make any difference what type of hose you use! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience the ones that are guaranteed to not kink are pretty stiff, and won't. Those that are not guaranteed are thin, and will. You want flexible and prone to kinks, or rigid and no kinks? My current no kink rolls pretty tightly and takes up little room.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard