cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Re-engine a class A

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
What would be a close guess as to what it would cost to put a different engine in a big coach.

for example a 8.3 ISC or ISX maybe a 350 cat.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
16 REPLIES 16

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than new or crate engine. Look into used ones. COLAW inear Springfield, MO will quote a price on most anything.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
our Newmar does not need a new engine.

The maintenance we have done is the injectors were cleaned and flow checked, and the intake Manifold was replaced due to a crack.

VERY unusual. Normally, it is the EXHAUST manifold that cracks???

Off the subject, but just curious: Wolfe, are you without an RV now?
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
550 Cat rebuild in the Yukon will set you back $60 grand, just to stay away from all this electronic garbage that is out there, but your life can depend on it when a sensor goes south when it's -50 0n the Demster Hwy. Well worth it. A friend up there told me if the company wanted him to buy a new truck, he would quit driving, been hauling to Inuvik for 35 yrs.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Iโ€™ve bought low miles (less tha 50K) ISC and mechanicall 8.3 engines for $5000. Put the ISC in a truck instead of rebuilding the engine in it...much cheaper. Add another $4-5,000 to swap so still less than half of a rebuild. I still have the 8.3 as I sold the truck it was the spare for. Good used engines are out there but you have to search and it can take months of searching.

Well thatโ€™s kind of my experience being around FLORIDA. My maintenance guy has a two man shop, $90/hr for RVs cheaper for trucks.. Nice shop, AC, pit. We are construction town around here. We shoot the poo when Iโ€™m in. He does a
Engine swap in dump trucks in a day once things are lined up. I didnโ€™t ask price but had the feel it was in that ball park. These guys arenโ€™t putting $30-$40k they donโ€™t have into a 20 year old rig.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve bought low miles (less tha 50K) ISC and mechanicall 8.3 engines for $5000. Put the ISC in a truck instead of rebuilding the engine in it...much cheaper. Add another $4-5,000 to swap so still less than half of a rebuild. I still have the 8.3 as I sold the truck it was the spare for. Good used engines are out there but you have to search and it can take months of searching.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

The maintenance we have done is the injectors were cleaned and flow checked, and the intake Manifold was replaced due to a crack.

Yer right my bad, it was the exhaust.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
blownstang01 & Big Katuna,

Thanks for the info. I guess I can stick to my plans and start shopping for that early 2000's Prevost in 5 years or so! I can't afford a new one!!! LOL

B.K., I was thinking the pre-DEF units would be less problematic as well, that's why I was a bit puzzled, but your explanations do make sense.

Thanks again,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
An ISX-C Cummins crate motor (if you can get one from Cummins) will run you 40 grand not including install.

In as much as CAT got out of the on road engine business, I have no idea what one would cost but I suspect much more then 40.,
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think thatโ€™s it mostly.

Certainly not because theyโ€™re problematic. I never implied that. I think the pre DEF engines are less problematic.

Another factor is people with enough money to pay cash buy newer if not new.

Many people would rather pay interest through the nose because they dont actually have much cash and want new.

Another reason as I looked at used is many of them have not been garaged kept and look really used: worn upholstery, carpet, seats.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Itโ€™s fairly astounding how cheap the 07 and older DPs are right now. I doubt I can get $30k for my 40,000 mile three slide. And no one wants them. Dealers donโ€™t even take them for trade.

Why is that? Is it because the engines/drivetrains are troublesome? Or is it just the whole pre-DEF thing?

We love our Class A gasser, but my plans are in the next 5-8 years or so, to pick up a high-end mid-2000's DP. If they're problematic, maybe I'll rethink my plans. But if it's something else, I'm thinking I could adjust.

Thanks in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick

I'm not who you were asking, but the problem isn't with the coaches. It's that nobody (or Very Few) will finance a MH over 10 years old. If you have the means there are many very good deals on 07's and older.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

I was thinking of the other thread that a coach had a bad engine.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Itโ€™s fairly astounding how cheap the 07 and older DPs are right now. I doubt I can get $30k for my 40,000 mile three slide. And no one wants them. Dealers donโ€™t even take them for trade.

Why is that? Is it because the engines/drivetrains are troublesome? Or is it just the whole pre-DEF thing?

We love our Class A gasser, but my plans are in the next 5-8 years or so, to pick up a high-end mid-2000's DP. If they're problematic, maybe I'll rethink my plans. But if it's something else, I'm thinking I could adjust.

Thanks in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick Google shows used ISCs for $9K and up.

I didnโ€™t look at remannie but in the engine world they are usually 2-3 times used.

I canโ€™t imagine taking more than 20-30 hours so $2K-$4K labor?

Iโ€™m guessing you are attached to your 2000 Newmar. I have a 05 Fleetwood I would like to let loose so have been researching prices.

The CAT C7 and Allison 3000 are worth at least half that.

Iโ€™ve given thought to selling the drivetrain and sell the coach as a low cost domicile to retired or snowbird located in an RV/trailer Park (lots of them around here) for $5K.