cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding cabover side wall

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I have rebuilt this entire cabover once before and am currently redoing the driver's side wall on the cabover. Normally, I would attach the lauan plywood to the aluminum frame with some staples and some Sta-Put II foam adhesive, then attach the filon to the lauan with some Benders 631 contact adhesive - using some staples around the very edge.

BUT, I'm considering another approach and am looking for someone to talk me out of it, or say "great idea"...

I'm thinking of attaching the filon to the plywood in my garage - with the Benders 631 contact adhesive and then put that piece on the side of the camper - using the same Sta-Put foam adhesive and some staples. That would allow me to really clamp these 2 pieces (filon and plywood) together much better than I could if I tried to install the filon to the side of the camper. Any staples that show - and I'm thinking of stapling thru the filon into the aluminum frame - I would then use some Bondo fiberglass repair to patch over these staples before painting.

Any thoughts?

Again, I'm piecing this in - it's just the side piece above the driver's door - about 3' x 5'...

ryan
3 REPLIES 3

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
do you mean something like this to this with the graphics

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Second rebuild of the same cabover?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Can't answer you, but never knew what it took. Seems like with parts and some know how, it would be a nice project to take on. Thanks for the education!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.