cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red Key

DesertHiker
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer installed a red key type battery disconnect on the chassis battery. When my RV is sitting in the driveway, the red key is sitting in the cab. When I am driving, the red key is turned and visible in the grill.

Now, I know this is basic, but ... when I am CAMPING, do I take the red key out, thereby disconnecting? And does it make any difference if I am connected to electric or boon-docking?

My brain keeps getting a little confused because of the double negative "disconnect" on or off!!
DesertHiker
home base is Bend, Oregon
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So the solution to whatever parasitic draw you had (I remember some thread about battery going dead but not the details) is the dealer put a disconnect switch on the charging line from start to house batteries?
You should have your dealer explain what it does for you and how to use it. Or better yet , figure it out yourself. That way youโ€™ll remember since your issue was recent, you should understand what the band aid was that was applied to it.
Need to have a bit of basic aptitude about the thing youโ€™re trusting to get you in and out of the back country and live in.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put a hand-held volt meter on the battery to see what it's doing with the switch on or off then use it accordingly.

You can also buy an inexpensive $10 volt meter that plugs into a 12v outlet that will give you the voltage of a battery. The dash 12v outlet should show the chassis battery and a 12v camper outlet should show the coach battery voltage. This is what I use when I park my rv. It allows to monitor my chassis battery so I can charge it as needed.

Check both chassis and coach locations when you are parked, when you run the engine, when you're parked using the red switch on and off and also when you are plugged into shore power. Test that red switch then as well.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
disconnect means off.No electric flow.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one, but this video seems to imply that if you put the key in the socket, and turn it clockwise, the battery is connected. If you turn the key counter-clockwise and remove it, the battery is disconnected.
Like this, if this is what you have...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0CedAjJh7M
In this context, it's also a theft prevention device.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DesertHiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! And the battery is disconnected when the key is NOT in it, right?
DesertHiker
home base is Bend, Oregon

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the chassis battery to stay charged while you're camping/parked, yes disconnect the battery using the key. Unless the self discharge rate is high, you should be OK for a few days, and still be able to "start your engine". Makes no difference if your're plugged in, or not.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)