cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove and remount entry door frame

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here goes. I am about to replace my entry door hinges for the second time. Needless to say, during the last replacement, I let the mount plates behind the frame fall to the bottom because I didn't know they were there. To keep the new hinges tight, I up sized the mounting screws as recommended. The fix has not lasted and the ongoing slight loosening of the hinge mountings has caused door sticking and closing problems. The hinges also don't respond well to this and get bent. I am going to try and remove the frame, retrieve the plates and remount the frame. Since I am insecure as to the remount being within my skill set. I need to know if anyone has any first hand knowledge, personal experience, tutorials or videos that I can refer to.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad
7 REPLIES 7

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I have had the entry door out of my trailer before. Pretty easy. Pull out the screw moulding, remove all the screws, pull out the door/frame assy. Just make sure to clean as necessary and apply new sealant around the opening before reinstalling the door.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Doesn’t seem too difficult
If you can’t get the mounting plates back, however that works, you could thru bolt it and use a couple pieces of aluminum flat stock or even wood on the inside of the wall.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
On my 98 Georgetown I just popped the molding off from around the door and removed all the screws on the sides and top. After that it was just a matter of prying the door loose from the caulking and pulling it out.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have run into a similar problem with a basement compartment door issue. I messed around and figured out it is above my pay grade. Tech coming on 22nd or 23rd this week.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wholesaletease
Explorer
Explorer
I think looking for a technician is probably the right solution

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
The plates are completely behind the aluminum frame and the door cutout.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
how about a magnet and a string retreive the old plates.