cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repaired bed hinge dilemma

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
The long piano hinge on the queen sized bed bit the dust. I replaced the old hinge with no trouble. When I hooked up the lift support strut that holds the bed up to get into the storage underneath, I could NOT pull the bed back down. I was on the verge of pulling the screws loose that were holding the brackets of the strut. It worked fine before, but now I cannot compress them at all. I took one outside and put one end on the concrete and tried to compress it with no luck.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,eh?

Brad
6 REPLIES 6

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
draboo wrote:
Captain_Happy wrote:
Are you sure this strut don't lock when fully extended?

If they do, I have no idea how to unlock them. I tried again today pushing down on them on the concrete. No go.

In the military a long time ago I dealt with some struts that were designed to lock at "full extension". When locked out the rod came out of the tube at a slight angle. The angle was barely noticeable you had to look at it from the side when the strut was installed. You had to extend the rod a bit (about 1/4 inch) and push against the tube to straighten the angle then they would collapse.

If you can see this angle I would reattach to the bed to get the leverage to extend and straighten.

Mike

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for kicks WD-40? Have you tried it?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Time for replacement struts?

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:

If they do, I have no idea how to unlock them. I tried again today pushing down on them on the concrete. No go.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
It over extended. Put a hair dryer on it for a few and see if you can free it. If not replacement time.