cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing a MH damaged in vehicle accident

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I need some ideas on where to get my new 2016 Jayco Greyhawk (3300 miles) fixed after being struck by a clueless driver. She (85 year-old driver) told me she didn't see me as she moved from the right lane into the left lane where I was traveling. I was going 30 mph at the time. Her car hit the MH just back of the passenger door and damaged the fiberglass all the way to the back. The electric steps were knocked off as well as the first compartment that held my tools. The tool box was flattened when I ran it over and tools were scattered all over the road. It spite of this I drove it home. I taped all the disconnected wires from where the steps were to the side. I got a police report and contacted my insurance company. I will call the dealer (260 miles away) today. It would take a very knowledgeable shop to put it all back together. Thanks for any and all ideas.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!
17 REPLIES 17

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
LI-Camper wrote:
I didn't choose January, Jayco told me that was when it could be done. I have informed the other person's insurance that this will not be fixed soon. They already told me that they have accepted responsibility for the accident. They also mentioned getting reimbursement for travel expenses. Unfortunately these things take time. Jayco will send me an estimate in the next two weeks. The police have told me the accident report is in the mail. I need these things to get the insurance to agree to pay. I am willing to wait in order for Jayco to fix the MH correctly.
Great!

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Like I posted earlier basically was Avan took the time to write out his experience ! They need to pay the WHOLE BILL....

Don't forget too that now even tho your MH was NOT totaled , it does now however have or will have on record it being in an accident.
And at time to trade it in will make it even worth less...

I know people always say I'm driving this(fill in blank________ )till the wheels fall off.
Still need to take into consideration its NOT a branded title, but might as well be !

Found that out first hand on a truck I had , somebody did a hit and run on it while I was parked in a parking lot.
Did $2900.00 damage.
No where on the title saying branded or ? But when I wanted to trade it in on a new one. They had it all booked out at $26K came back with a carfax stating been in accident!
That offer dropped to $12K.. even tho I said I had pictures and the estimate and all paperwork from the bodyshop to show , It didn't matter ...
That made my stomach churn to say the least...

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't choose January, Jayco told me that was when it could be done. I have informed the other person's insurance that this will not be fixed soon. They already told me that they have accepted responsibility for the accident. They also mentioned getting reimbursement for travel expenses. Unfortunately these things take time. Jayco will send me an estimate in the next two weeks. The police have told me the accident report is in the mail. I need these things to get the insurance to agree to pay. I am willing to wait in order for Jayco to fix the MH correctly.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

avan
Explorer
Explorer
www.putt10.net

avan
Explorer
Explorer
My prior 5th wheel was hit by a drunk in Arkansas. It was our FT home. He took out the rear quarter panel of our truck, the front storage compartment, propane tanks and then damaged the remainder of the 40' side of the 5ver. Since I couldn't disconnect (one front jack was gone), I immediately headed north to the factory. Got a call from his insurer to make an appointment for their adjuster to see. They were upset that I was already on the road to get it fixed. Told them the last time I looked, the title was in my name and I'd move it any time I wished and that if they wanted to buy the title, I'd drop the rig at their nearest office. Told them I'd let them know when I arrived at the factory and they could send their adjuster there. Several days later, I did get to the factory. I guaranteed payment and they had it inside to begin repairs before I even left their yard. Again the drunk's insurance objected that they had not yet been able to inspect and again I offered to sell the rig to them. They wanted to put us up in a motel room. Since this was our home, I said we needed comparable functionality in our quarters, a bedroom, bath, kitchen and living room and that we'd stay at a nearby Residence Inn that I would bill them. When they gave me static on that, I again called my ins co and complained and my ins co told me that they would get the other ins co (State Farm) to cool their jets. And they did and State Farm dropped by hotel weekly with an expense check advance. I also billed and collected the going mileage fee charged by the RV delivery companies for the round trip mileage from the place of the accident to the factory and back.

Repairs only took a couple of weeks which, I assure you, was much faster than any dealer would have been able to do. In fact, a dealer would claim than much time or more just to obtain parts. The factory will have everything, on hand, that is needed to repair the unit as new and all the personnel available who know exactly how everything is supposed to be in order to ensure 'as new' condition.
www.putt10.net

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Ll-Camper

I think it is a great idea to get the rig repaired at the factory. Just be sure to get it done as soon as possible. January seems too long a wait for an insurance claim to get fulfilled.

What I don't understand is why your own insurance company is involved. Why did you contact your insurance company? You should be working directly with the 85 year old woman's insurance company since it was her fault, assuming she was ticketed. Contacting your own insurance company is a big mistake. If your insurance co. is anything like our AARP shyster Hartford, your rates will go up steeply, even if they don't pay out anything for the repairs.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not wait until Jan. Get it fixed asap.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the insurance is footing the bill , the WHOLE BILL..

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP. I have spoken to someone at Jayco. Based on photos I took and sent to them, they are sending me an estimate. The whole passenger-side wall will be replaced as well as electric steps and wiring. This could take up to three weeks. The MH is driveable so I will take it to Indiana some time around January. I am relieved to have a plan to get it fixed correctly. Thanks for all the responses and help!
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on factory -- that way, if another claim comes up, the ins co can't just blame it on a no-name repair shop.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
NY to ind a short drive, your insurer can handle a delivery company. this is there problem not yours.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
LI-Camper wrote:
2016 Jayco Greyhawk (3300 miles)

Ouch!!!!

That's the one we're looking at. Please post your decision, Lord forbid that something similar should happen to us.

If the factory will do it, I'd be tempted to make the drive to Indiana.

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Old-Biscuit! I might be able to go to the factory. I would feel much better if Jayco fixed it properly. I'll keep you posted.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
LI-Camper wrote:
I thought of the factory but that's far away..... May be the option I take anyway.

Reason I stated factory.

Had damage done to my 5th wheel.

Rv Repair facilities......3 weeks to get in , estimated 2-3 weeks for parts (if correct parts) then 1 week repair

Factory......3 day turn around....done.

Made appointment (2 weeks out) drove down. Got motel....picked up when done
Insurance covered damage and motel (we were FT)

Factory has the knowledge, parts, tooling except for chassis.
Any chassis damage?? Take it to 'Chassis' shop first. Then Factory.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31