cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repl AMFM antenna on 2012 Tiffin

DonSmith
Explorer
Explorer
Antenna mast gone, not sure when, but when I tried to find a replacement I realized that the installation is non-standard. No after market universal antenna mast will fit on the SMA threading that remains and the antenna appears to be mounting on a plate attached under the front end-cap then secured with leveling putty. I don't think there is a hole in the roof, though I haven't yet removed all of putty. The stud has SMA threading like a standard coaxial TV antenna. The antenna that Tiffin sells could not fit this because it is similar to one you could buy at auto zone but at three times the price. I'm about ready to jury-rig it but wonder if I'm misunderstanding something that someone here might have some insight into it.

Don Smith
2012 Tiffin Open Road 32CA
Don Smith
donsmith64@gmail.com
5 REPLIES 5

DonSmith
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If it is an SMA thread good chance it's not an AM/FM radio antenna.

I know of many antennas that fit SMA. have 2 here in the RV but neither is AM/FM radio.. though they woudl likely work.

Maybe you are right. I had searched the forums and some owners told me that the am fm was on the right side over the passenger seat. Since that one had broken off and I wasn't getting stations I made the assumption that this was the antenna. When I looked at it I was surprised that the threads were SMA, but I assumed this was it. I'm still not getting great reception on FM but getting some. I'll check with Tiffin. Thanks.
Don Smith
donsmith64@gmail.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is an SMA thread good chance it's not an AM/FM radio antenna.

I know of many antennas that fit SMA. have 2 here in the RV but neither is AM/FM radio.. though they woudl likely work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DonSmith
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I did the jury rig using a thread adapter and then applied self leveling putty. Seems to be working ok. Doug may be right that there is a hole, but I didn't get to see it because it would have required removing some of the putty on the front end-cap because the rectangular mounting plate extends under the cap. Seems a strangely illogical mounting method.. ??
Don Smith
donsmith64@gmail.com

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all 3 antennas on my Journey, had to remove cabinet tops to get to the nuts that anchor them to the roof,I scraped the area clean where the penetration was installed the new ones, sealed it with Dicor. Had to get my wife to hold the base from the inside while I screwed the parts together from the roof,Wasn't too hard a job, got the antennas on Amazon.jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is a hole in the roof. Doug