cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing awning fabric

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Carefree power awning on my Jayco MH. It is a 22 foot awning that is beginning to fray and discolor pretty bad. The framework, motor, etc. continue to work well, so I would like to just replace the fabric on the existing framework. I would like to do this myself if possible. I have done a search but cannot find a video for my particular model. I know I can order the fabric myself but would like to know if anyone on here can give me some specific advise about the Carefree One-Touch model. For instance, do the power models have springs inside or does the motor do all the work. I sure don't want to remove an end cap and get decapitated by flying springs!!! I am sure at one time I saw some information or a video but cannot find it now. Any help appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
Sat. 9:46 AM March 16.
Right now I am sitting under our power awing in Florida.
So I got up and looked at our awing, and lifted it up at the center of the roll up tube. The springs are in the shock absorbing arms, and when i lifted it the tube did not try to turn and the canvas sagged.

Dusty

Thanks very much Dusty. So I guess that means that the motor is locked in position. My main concern is when I remove the tube from the arm assembly, is there a spring inside the tube? Probably not if the shock absorbing arms are producing the tension. Anyway I will keep looking and hopefully someone who has replaced the fabric will chime in.

Sitting under the awning in Florida, huh? What a tough life!!! Thanks for the information and enjoy your trip.

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
You're probably wasting your time looking for a video of a particular model. Look at CofC's discontinued model doc library they have at the support section. If there is not a specific service manual available the fabric change procedure is the reverse of the install instruction.

CofC

Yes I had seen this before. May be something I have to use if I can't find a video of some kind. Thanks for the information.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful about opening an awning when it might be frozen. It is the most common way that they get torn. Open them in warmer weather.

There are lots of videos about replacing awnings, but the process looks somewhat tedious.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Sat. 9:46 AM March 16.
Right now I am sitting under our power awing in Florida.
So I got up and looked at our awing, and lifted it up at the center of the roll up tube. The springs are in the shock absorbing arms, and when i lifted it the tube did not try to turn and the canvas sagged.

Dusty

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're probably wasting your time looking for a video of a particular model. Look at CofC's discontinued model doc library they have at the support section. If there is not a specific service manual available the fabric change procedure is the reverse of the install instruction.

CofC
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wondering the same thing
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby