cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing B/W rear camera with color camera

sullivd
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to replace B/W rear camera and monitor with color camera and monitor in my 2007 Southwind 32V. Has anyone done this and can advise how to remove old monitor from dash and will the cable from camera to monitor have to be replaced. All advice appreciated.

D. Sullivan
7 REPLIES 7

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I went with rvcams.com and sure glad I did. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for in the long run.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not buy anything branded "Furrion". They work great for a year or two, and then.......The kicker is no parts are available when it fails, and they want you to buy a new complete package. Its overpriced cheap junk and they follow the screw the RV'r sales model.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
if you want a color camera,you can look at amazon.there are many cameras products.I recommend haloview rea view camerahaloview rear view camera,Good quality and affordable.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your budget and your general skills?

Replacement can be done for less that $100 but there is a good chance you'll need to replace the cable, which isn't overly difficult abut can be a challange, and come up with a adapter to hold the display in place in the dash, which again isn't overly difficult.

If you're risk tolerance and skills are not up for the challenge there are RV based turn key solutions that will fit and work but will cost a couple of hundred $$$.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wireless systems are notoriously flaky. I would contact RVCams.com and they can walk you through what you need. I think you will be disappointed if the only reason to swap monitors is to get color. A B&W backup camera is just fine for the job it was designed to do. You might like to watch your wife's face turn red when you don't do what she says, but otherwise......
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Contact RVcams.com and explain what you have and what you want. They have a lot of different cameras and also have the connectors needed to use your old cable between the camera and your monitor. You can also buy an inexpensive camera on eBay and still get connectors from RV cams.com.
I recommend against wireless, especially if you plan to drive at night.

KO
Explorer
Explorer
This is from a previous post.

I just replaced with a wireless system. It still requires power at both the camera and monitor. Camera was a bit$h to get into old camera cavity on rear of coach. I have had all kinds of issues, with "Not loaded" error codes (no picture for this trip), to a series of still shots being displayed. I am also having issues with seeing the monitor pic in bright sunlight. If you have polarized sunglasses - you don't see the image.
Other then that - no problem.
I would get a 9in monitor and consider Black and white!