cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing bug mask on front of RV

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

My Journey has the clear bug mask installed that is looking old. Is this easy to remove and replace. I was thinking a hair dryer and some careful scraping to remove. I also saw an ad on TV for a spray on mask for cars. Would something like that work?

Anyone replace their bug mask?
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi
5 REPLIES 5

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
This problem seems to occur east of the Mississippi - probably the humidity has a lot to do with it. Ours is 9 yr. old and still looks new. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
ltm wrote:
you are in for a treat. I started with a heat gun ,could not get it off, hired a professional mask installer ,he worked one day and quit the heat gun removed the clear mask and then the fun really started. To remove the glue. I used every chemical possible ended up using glue off . Then I had to repaint the front of the coach. my total time was 3 weeks work and $2,300.

I witness the same situation with a MH parked next to me this past winter in Florida. After he spent days working on it, he hired a professional and they spent 5 days (2 guys) scraping, buffing, etc. Not sure what his final bill was, but before they got finished, he told me it was going to be well over $2000. They used buffing machines and they ran all day.
Tarheel

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine isn't in terrible shape but I've seen some used units, we were considering upgrading to, where it was starting to make the front look bad. I'm surprised 3M doesn't have a process to remove it.
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi

ltm
Explorer
Explorer
you are in for a treat. I started with a heat gun ,could not get it off, hired a professional mask installer ,he worked one day and quit the heat gun removed the clear mask and then the fun really started. To remove the glue. I used every chemical possible ended up using glue off . Then I had to repaint the front of the coach. my total time was 3 weeks work and $2,300.

Wheel_Estate
Explorer
Explorer
i saw a guy taking his off a tiffin product about a year an half ago doing just that... he was using a heat gun and one of those plastic scrapers for body work . said he got the scraper from a body shop auto supply place. it wasn't easy.... but it came of with work without marking the paint. good luck
Rick & MaryAnn
drive a Phaeton with
SMI brake stopping a Jeep toad