cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Ford drivers seat........

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
2004 Ford E-450. Anyone replace their drivers side seat? Trying to search online but limited results for Class C. Was going to call savage yard to see if they may know of a source, but, would rather install new versus used. Last option, have the seat reupholstered but Covid has made that somewhat difficult with delay times. Thanks for any leads.
11 REPLIES 11

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr,

You would be very surprised how easy it is to work on your seat. They are assembled in "kit" fashion. If the issue of concern is a crushed supporting cushion, you can add batting material purchased from places like walmart, but certainly from a fabric store. Remove the base seat skin, place multiple layers of batting, put the cover back on but not attaching it just yet. Then stuff more bulk batting wherever it is needed to fill in places that are lacking. Once it looks well filled, attach the perimeter and you are finished.

If the problem is concerning your seat base outer skin, fabric, vinyl, or leather, you'll need the manufacture of the seat and contact them for a new base skin. It won't be Ford but an RV seat supplier.

Of coarse the end result will not look great because everything else will show their wear a lot worse after having a brand new driver seat base skin.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep.......confirmed with SeatShop and that's correct. Looks similar but is wider than standard. Guess I'll just get local upholstery shop to fix the bottom seat for me. Thanks all for the replies!!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many (maybe most) motorhomes do not have Ford factory seats from the motorhome maker, but some aftermarket seat installed by the manufacturer. If the cushion is for the standard Ford van seat it very likely would not fit a motorhome seat.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, placed an order with the "SeatShop" for just the bottom cushion. They just called me and stated "we've never found our product to work for an RV" and refunded my money. Hmmmm, stated on their site this was for an econoline Ford E-250, E-350 seat. I've got the E-450 but shouldn't make any difference.
Any comments?

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you folks out there ever get to travel to Southern Cal spend an hour at Walt's RV in Corona.It's in a warehouse now and just as unorganized as ever but they buy close

outs. one of a kinds and have seating, rolls of carpeting, wood panels ,hard to find obsolete parts that no one else has. If you are a fan of garage sales this is the largest

RV garage sale you will ever go to. When i installed 12ft. of living quarters in my Cargo van I was a regular there. Often a RV buyer wants an upgrade and whatever the

dealer removes he buys and re-sells.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
RockAuto has new foam, but not new covers.

Good wrecking yard seats are VERY hard to find. I've been looking for years now, and I never get to a good set quick enough. Sheel-Mann would be my dream seat, but that's not really in the budget at the moment. I'll probably do new foam and an aftermarket cover. Maybe add some heat. I actually like the factory seats far more than any of the RV style seats.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
I built my own seat bases and installed seats from the 2nd row in a Toyota Sienna. Seats were $15 each at the wrecking yard and are infinitely better that the original seats ever were. If you want a really good seat, consider Scheel-Mann.

My mechanic did the same thing using the rear Sienna recliners installed in the front of a different brand mini van . I noticed how good they looked and he confirmed how comfortable they were.
Imo, its a great idea to find used ones , usually the rears have a lot less wear. Any welder could build you a base. 😉

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I built my own seat bases and installed seats from the 2nd row in a Toyota Sienna. Seats were $15 each at the wrecking yard and are infinitely better that the original seats ever were. If you want a really good seat, consider Scheel-Mann.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could always do it your self.My drivers seat was worn out,cover and foam.

I went to the Seat Shop I put in my information and bought everything I needed to do it myself,both top and bottom covers plus replacement foam that was better than the original.The price was very good in my estimation and I did it my self.

They have a very good video for each seat that was easy to follow and was a great help in the installation.

Just one Example for your year 2004

The Install Video
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

Plturne
Explorer
Explorer