cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ride quality of class C vs. pulling trailer with truck

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I are contemplating moving to a Class C in a couple of years. We've been camping for many years and progressed through 3 popup campers, a 29' Sunline TT pulled by a 2001 Dodge dually (V-10 gasser) and our current rig (27' Winnebago pulled by a Tundra). My wife has experienced some back issues which has led to this question. Is the ride quality of a class C typically better than that of a pickup truck pulling a trailer.

Obviously, there are many variables involved i.e. type of hitch, weight of trailer, towing under/over capacity etc. I really don't want this thread to get bogged down with those discussions. I'm more interested in hearing from class C owners that previously towed travel trailers and their experiences.

And, most likely, we would be looking for a 30' or slightly larger class C which offers a walk around bed. At our age, we really don't want to be crawling over each other for the nightly visits to the bathroom!

Thanks in advance for your responces!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
21 REPLIES 21

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to think my class C rides something like a sell-sorted U-Haul with more comfortable seats. It's not bad in general, but it's no limousine either.

Class A motorhomes with full air suspension (which basically means diesel pushers) have a much nicer, gentler ride, and naturally a price tag to correspond.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
At 29 ft we have a walk around bed, and even though the rig is older, we feel the ride is very good. I made a effort to remove the squeeks and rattles and it is quiet going down the road. We stop about every 200 miles to fill up and walk around but we are not crippled up getting out of the seats. Overall we are very happy with the older unit.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that you do not need to go 30 feet plus to get a bed(s) that do not require you to crawl over each other for nightly excursions. Rigs 30 feet or more typically suffer from lack of OCCC, which could limit how much water, food, clothes, and stuff you carry. Depending on the type of RVing you typically do, it could or could not be an issue.

I have driven our Class C 10-12 hours on some trips and did not feel uncomfortable driving (had back surgery years ago). But, we stop every couple of hours for either BR breaks or just get out and move around a bit.

Good luck with your search.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
New class C owner here! I have owned and towed popups and travel trailers before. I am still getting used to the Class C. The biggest difference to me is the width. I feel like I must be constantly vigilant as I fill up the entire lane! Granted I have only driven about 50 miles so far 🙂

I would say its at least as comfortable as my F150 was though. And easier to maneuver for me, I sucked at backing up the TT!
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, yes. Also IMO it's easier to do ride-improving updated to a motorhome, such as full air-ride, than to do a truck AND trailer (if both aren't done, lots of shock is still transmitted through the hitch)
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've ridden in a few CLASS-C's of different types and they were pretty comfortable to me. I think the advantage of the CLASS-C is the ability to move around a bit more and not being so confined to one seating position.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
Like you we have gone thru many rigs. Pulled an Airstream for near 20 years plus popups ect. We have had our Class C for some years and love it. Ride is far better but we do not tow. We just drive our little rig where we want to go. But do need to walk some times to get were we want to be. We do rent a car from time to time. We have talked about getting a toad but just never have. The problem with the trailer and pickup is the ride of the pickup when empty. They seem to be so rough. I have a very bad back and need a smooth ride..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38