cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rodent proof

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
We have our 1st seasonal site this year. While having the RV hooked up for 6 months, what is the best thing to use to fill the openings where the electric/water & dump hoses go through? Will they chew through fiberglass insulation??

Thanks for any info!!
Happy camping to all!!! It's been a looong winter up here in the northeast!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!”
14 REPLIES 14

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Mice and Rat control .I use FRESH CAB, Can be found at ace hard where,and tractor supply.open box place a pouch around your rv ,in diff compartments and your good

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Get a cat.

Hahaha! Have 2 black labs, that's not gonna work!!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!”

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Get a cat.
2013 ACE 29.2

scivilla
Explorer
Explorer
Check out
http://www.rvcritterguard.com

I have use these on two motor homes for both wet section openings and electrical openings and they work great.

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
bronze chore girl is bronze steel wool that does not rust. I wrap the hose and coax with foam pipe wrap insulation.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
stroza99 wrote:
Thanks all, I guess it's steel wool, great stuff will be to messy for the water hose openings!

And they will still get in. Best thing I have found (and I've tried it all) was cotton balls with Peppermint Oil sprinkled on them, and place the balls into plastic pill bottles (drill several holes in the bottles) and place in strategtic areas of the RV - the basements, utility bays, in the underareas of the kitchen sink and bathroom sink, and in the engine compartment.

And the steel wool will rust in no time in damp areas. There are other types of metal pads that do not rust. Copper would be better. And for utility openings, there are RV Critter Guards. Other companies make different types of pest products. Just click RV Pest Control
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

stroza99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I guess it's steel wool, great stuff will be to messy for the water hose openings!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Rust-proof steel wool is the best, in our opinion. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
stroza99 wrote:
We have our 1st seasonal site this year. While having the RV hooked up for 6 months, what is the best thing to use to fill the openings where the electric/water & dump hoses go through? Will they chew through fiberglass insulation??

Thanks for any info!!
Happy camping to all!!! It's been a looong winter up here in the northeast!!!

Put some of this stuff..http://www.earth-kind.com/products/.....in the compartments and also in the coach itself
You wont have vermin problems again
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is a version of Great Stuff called Pestblock made that has a bitter chemical in it to deter mice from gnawning through it. It doesn't seem to expand as much as the regular expanding foam cans, so take that into account when using it.

As for fiberglass insulation, mice love it, and quickly turn it into nesting material.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Keep mice away
Prevent mice
Kill/prevent mice 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
They will make a bed in fiberglass insulation. Spray foam does well. (Great Stuff). Truth is, the best thing to do is wait for a cold windy day, heat the coach up and feel for drafts. Most modern motorhomes resemble Swiss Cheese. While you can find some holes, many holes are impossible to discover without feeling for a cold draft. My dad had sprayed his coach, everywhere he could find any leaks. They visited my house over T-giving when it was cold outside, and we emptied a second spray can of foam, just finding all the holes he missed earlier.
IRV2

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
And so you can use it again and again without rust streaks, get the Stainless Steel Wool.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about slide out linkage holes, if you have them.
I've heard steel wool.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315