cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof rack attachment for 1999 Jamboree Class C

bajajoaquin
Explorer
Explorer
I’m mounting solar panels on my 1999 Jamboree Class C. I contacted the manufacturer for their guidance and they said they had no connection to the previous company and couldn’t offer any assistance.

My plan is to fabricate racks that span the roof and bolt into the “flats” on the edges of the roof structure. I figure there’s a longitudinal support running on the top edge. Some have recommended putting in but-certs to help secure them. I’m happy to do this as I am familiar with them and like them. However, I don’t know what to expect when I drill the hole. Anyone done this to a similar motor home? How is the roof actually constructed in this place (brochure says it’s a metal frame)?
"Perfection comes not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away."
5 REPLIES 5

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1979 Dodge Jamboree. The frame of mine is all wood as far as I can tell. Of course yours is 20 years newer so it may well be different.

There is a thread of a complete rebuild of another old Dodge RV including pictures of a pretty complete tear down, somewhere in the message thread below. I don't remember what year that one was.

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

I suggest posting your message in that thread.

bajajoaquin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

Drew, I’m taking about the longitudinal rails that are likely running on the outboard edges of the roof.
"Perfection comes not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away."

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to find some videos of ‘class C roof rebuilds’.
I think a 99’ Jamboree was s Fleetwood product.
Videos of that era models will be similar enough to give you a visual of what you have, be it aluminum or wood frame.

You can view an example here at approx the 3:20 mark.

https://youtu.be/JBYBdQ37CrI

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Probably it's plywood over the metal frame, and the roof membrane over that. Attaching the brackets to the plywood with screws should be perfectly sufficient in my estimation. If you can hit some of the aluminum supports, so much the better.

I wouldn't bet on longitudinal supports except maybe around vent and air conditioner openings. Often I believe it's just a series of trusses/bows spaced every couple feet or so, as I understand things. I'm talking fairly generally here; I have no idea if Jamboree did things differently.

You might be able to see exactly what the structure looks like by removing the inner parts of a roof vent and peering around.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your roof structure is indeed metal, they use C or L channel for roof "trusses". Either way, jack-nuts will work fine.