Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbing Alcohol-type Smell

JulieB888
Explorer
Explorer
Hello kindly folks,
I got a problem. There is this smell that comes and goes. At first i though that it was gasoline so I checked for a leaky gas tank/lines, but there was no leak and I realized last night that it isn't exactly gasoline smelling either. It typically comes from the rear of the vehicle, often when it hasn't been driven in a few days, but sometimes after driving. However I have smelled it up front a few times when I was driving as well. Usually its very mild but last night it was so strong that i couldn't sleep in the rig. I have sniffed around quite a bit when it has come and it seems to be coming in the heater vent on the inside and from a similar place on the outside. The heater has been broken for years, the fan works but no heat comes out. But I am wondering if there are any fluids in there that would produce a rubbing alcohol like smell. Any ideas?

Much appreciate your help
Julie

By the way it's a 1992 Roadtrek on the Dodge Chasis
14 REPLIES 14

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
If it disappears for months your going to have to keep a close watch on what your doing, using, not using and try to figure it out from that. It seems it's in, it's out , front, back, doesn't smell like something that's common.

kenwautoone
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be an ammonia smell? If so coming from refrigerator.....Ken

JulieB888
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
Which heater doesn't work, the dash heater or the house heater?

The house heater

JulieB888
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
Propane. Since you say the heater has been broken for years, did you cap off the gas line to the heater? Try turning off your propane tank and see if the smell disappears.

I am not sure how to cap the gas line to the heater and i can't afford to just turn off the propane because the smell comes and goes and is sometimes gone for weeks. But more to the point it doesn't smell like propane at all.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Which heater doesn't work, the dash heater or the house heater?

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
check the water in your batteries, they could be out of water and puts off a nasty odor.

If the batteries were dry they wouldn't work very well.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Propane. Since you say the heater has been broken for years, did you cap off the gas line to the heater? Try turning off your propane tank and see if the smell disappears.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
That darn break fluid!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unless there's "brake" fluid out in the open someplace, your not going to smell it just because the reservoir is a little low.

Low brake fluid is either a sign of a leak or that the linings are getting worn 😞

JulieB888
Explorer
Explorer
Break fluid is indeed low

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
check the water in your batteries, they could be out of water and puts off a nasty odor.

JulieB888
Explorer
Explorer
Would break fluid and ant-freeze produce smell in the back of the rig? It's usually coming from behind the back tire.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check brake fluid.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.