cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Both Air Conditioners On 30 Amp System

tkamsal
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for the Motorhome Magazine article that showed how to hook up both air conditioners on a 30 amp system (so they can both run at once) if 50 amps are available. In my semi permanent parking pad, I have 30 and 50 amp plugs. I believe the article ran earlier this year.

I have a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser.
21 REPLIES 21

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It sounds like a variation on the "cheater" cables that are sometimes used by 50 amp rv's when in a 30 amp park. The want a mere $700 bucks for it, including the installation kit. They get around the 30 amp main breaker by having a 20 amp breaker in their "box". I'd rather run a secondary shore power cord for say $30 bucks total?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/jtb-power-solution.htm

Tinstar wrote:
supercub wrote:
I use to have a 30 amp motor home. Under "just the right conditions" you could run both AC's, but that was rare, you certainly couldn't count on it. I did some research and found a box to install that allowed both AC's to run. I can't remember the name, but do some searching and I'm sure you'll find it. If I remember right the generator is wired like a 50 amp service so there's separate legs to each AC, and you split off one of those lines into this box and then plug into two separate outlets. I believe that's how it was, like I said can't remember, but it did work, and was somewhat easy to install.

It's called the Power Solutions Dual Power Adaptor.

The dual power adaptor was just what you're describing. It's just a way to run a secondary shore line from the camp pedestal to the second a/c unit. It's just a hard-wired way to do it without interfering with the coach power. I think they cost about $80. They are apparently out of business but it's a simple device to build.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
Always looking for simple and inexpensive. My generator is wired so that it runs the house power off of its 30 amp breaker and includes the rear A/C unit. The front A/C unit is wired to a separate 20 amp breaker. So I simply put a transfer switch on the 20 amp line to A/C unit and installed a box beside it with a plug for an extension cord. You have to set two switches and plug in the cord to a separate 20 amp circuit. Cost < $30.
Jerry
2016 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 268BH
2006 Ford Expedition

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It sounds like a variation on the "cheater" cables that are sometimes used by 50 amp rv's when in a 30 amp park. The want a mere $700 bucks for it, including the installation kit. They get around the 30 amp main breaker by having a 20 amp breaker in their "box". I'd rather run a secondary shore power cord for say $30 bucks total?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/jtb-power-solution.htm

Tinstar wrote:
supercub wrote:
I use to have a 30 amp motor home. Under "just the right conditions" you could run both AC's, but that was rare, you certainly couldn't count on it. I did some research and found a box to install that allowed both AC's to run. I can't remember the name, but do some searching and I'm sure you'll find it. If I remember right the generator is wired like a 50 amp service so there's separate legs to each AC, and you split off one of those lines into this box and then plug into two separate outlets. I believe that's how it was, like I said can't remember, but it did work, and was somewhat easy to install.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the time you rig up something special it might be just as easy to upgrade your RV to 50 amp service. Permanently more convenient for every day use not just the two air conditioners.

Need a 50 amp cord and a 50 amp panel. Only hard part depending on access will be to pull new 50 amp romex from the cord inlet to the panel. Possibly upgrade your generator transfer switch if you have one.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Multiple methods
1: if the condensers are clean, and the batteries are full, and I do not heat water, cool food or watch TV, 30 amps is just precisely enough (27 actually) to run both my A/Cs.

2: Some Rv's have an Energy manager (Load shedder) system that can alternate between Front and Rear A/C.. Running first one, then the other, on 30 amps.

3: There used to be a company Power Solutions RV, however their web page has not been accessable for a long time, and there still is another comnpany that makes a much more complex and expensive product. The following is the PSRV design simplified

Existing RV wiring

{lots of stuff} (see below) ========wire to rear A/C======Rear A/C

Modify as follows:

{Stuff}======xx========A/C

{Stuff}=======Outlet/plug={20 amp breaker}= =======A/C

Now the plug and outlet (and the breaker) are in a box in an outside compartmetn.

On the PSRV the outlet was a pigtail and the PLUG was a fixed inlet but you can do it the other way around,, Just be sure to use 20 amp rated hardware

Normal use,, plug goes into outlet RV works exactly as designed/shipped

30 amp site

Pull plug, and using a 12ga Extension cord extend it to the 20 amp outlet in the park's pedistal..

I said "Lots of stuff"

Shore cord, Generator (if any) Automatic transfer seitch (If any) Breaker box, and all the other electrical stuff in teh RV

How I did it

I disconnected the line from the circuit breaker,, ran a new line to an outside compartment,,, Ran a line back from the outside and hooked up in a junction box (Breaker can be added to the junction box) NOTE: Wire nut connections between flexible (Stranded0 and solid (Romex) wire are not the world's best invention, i've had two of them fail.. that was one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
My 30 amp Winnie runs 2 all the time and has since 2008. I din't do a thing but adjust the temp how I want it.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

tkamsal
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. A lot to take in here.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:

:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I have run both of mine on 30 amps and have blown some circuit breakers on some 30 amp shore power. Not all 30 amp are full 30 amp, wired with large enough wire or is on an overloaded circuit.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer
Explorer
My slightly newer Suncruiser has an energy management system that allows easy operation of both air conditioners on 30 amp service (all the MH is setup for). It will shed an A/C if the microwave or something is used. If weather is hot, I run the hot water heater on gas so it doesn't cause an A/C to shed.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
my 50A rig has always run 2 ac's fine on a 30A hook up
no inverter
I think there is a power manager that prevents compressers from starting at same time
when running 2 ac's I put frige and water heater on propane
plenty of power left for sat,tv,battery charger, led lights

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice if those people who say two ACs can't be run on 30amp system could read and understand these testimonials.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Alfa. 50 amp and 2 AC's.
All you Have too do is run everything on propane. Do not use microwave, hairdryers, electric coffee makers.

Then your 30 amps can handle it.

My question is your sun crusier, does it have a Inverter/Charger or just a converter?
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog