cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rusty water from refridgerator vent

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to FL from AZ 3 years ago and almost since getting here I have had a problem with rusty water running out of my Norcold fridge vent. Not a lot but enough to leave stains on the side of the rig. I stuck my fat head in the back of the fridge opening and it is very rusty. The coils and tubes are coated with surface rust. I removed the vent cover from the roof and all looks well except for all the rust on the tubes. The design of the cover will allow wind-driven rain to blow in and we see that from time to time.
There are no leaks anywhere in the roof. Anyone else have this problem? Is the fridge safe to use with all the rust on the tubes? Any ideas on how to handle this problem?
13 REPLIES 13

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
tboss wrote:
rusty or brown stains can also mean rotten wood behind the wall

I can feel quite a ways up the wall from the side vent and all is dry. The rusty condensation is coming from the rain/water entering through those pesky little holes on the side of the fridge roof vent and then hitting the coils on the back of the fridge. I never had this problem in AZ cause high humidity there was generally 10%. Here in FL it is typically 75% or higher. It really never gets completely dry.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
WoodGlue wrote:
Gotcha, and it's Ms. Woodglue! ๐Ÿ™‚

Whoda' thunk?

That's ok! ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
rusty or brown stains can also mean rotten wood behind the wall

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
There could be a roof leak that is migrating over to the fridge area. Water doesn't always come out where it went in with a RV.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:

Whoda' thunk?

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Glue, the rusty water is trickling out the side vent BUT the water is entering through the roof vent. Unless I get any other "idears" I will start aluminum fabrication to shield those pesky roof vent side holes from the rain getting in.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I never suggested stuffing a towel into a roof vent!

I thought maybe the side compartment was where the OP was having a problem.

WoodGlue

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
The towel is only in there when the fridge is off. I even taped a note on the fridge door reminding me of the towel.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
WoodGlue and BuckBarker - I hope your refrigerators are not constructed like mine. If I stuffed a towel in the vent opening on the roof, the towel would slowly slide down the chimney. Plus that vent is supposed to allow air to move freely up that vent. If I stuffed a towel anywhere on the lower end, the flame from the burner would start a hot fire.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Glue, I jammed an old towel in the vent opening and that should help the condensation from running out but still won't stop it from getting in.

sctkev.....The vent cover is in fine shape. Along both sides of the cover are a row of holes approx. 1/2" x 4". I was thinking of fabricating a small aluminum awning for both sides of the cover to help keep the rain out.

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
check the fridge roof vent , maybe cracked or leaking

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps put a towel or similar in the area before it runs down the side of your rig. The rinsing that towel out.

WoodGlue