cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Tank Maintenance

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas as to the best way or cleaner to keep my Sensors clean and not show incorrect readings. I sometimes empty the black or grey tanks and still get readings of anywhere from 1/3 full to 2/3-full.

I have a macerator so ice cubes will not work plus I longterm camp and do not want to break camp to drive around juggling the tank contents..

I'm looking for a really good cleaner and dissolver that will do the job..
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
25 REPLIES 25

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Geo method.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
Google " GEO " method, Dawn dish soap and Calgon water softener. Been using this for years with good success. Lasts about 6 months then do it again. I do this every time I move.
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We are lucky enough to have access to the top of our tanks, so we installed deck plates and are able to open those and clean the tanks very well.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it, dump it, fill it again, dump it again. Maybe hook up the tank flusher,I mean tank filler, when winterizing come November or December for sheets and giggles, maybe not.

Sure does not take a method written out the length of War and Peace and a dosage of snake oil, but it's your money.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
I've had no problems after using a long squirt of Dawn and a few gallons of water put in the toilet and kit sink after emptying the tanks and the ride home cleans everything.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The best holding tank treatment available is "Happy Campers"
It's available from better RV supply stores, Amazon, Ebay and several dealers websites. Here's a link to one of those dealer's websites where you can learn more about it: https://www.happycampersworld.com/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B007S0H5DU

One scoop per tank is all that's needed. Fill your toilet 3/4 full of water after flushing your tank, swish it around with your bowl brush, flush the toilet and fill it again with enough water to rinse the brush.

It was recommended to me by some Trek friends and I've been hooked ever since. We use Charmin Ultra tissue and don't have any problems with out tank sensor. It does a great job of killing the odors too.

Disclaimer - I have no connection to the company but when I find something that works, I share it with others.

With all that being said, nothing will ever be any better than flushing your black tank with a wand hooked to a hose and stuck down through the toilet. Blasting a good stream of water around the tank a couple times a years is a good practice that should be followed no matter what tank treatment is used.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of those wands with the spinning head. Open my toilet and rinse up and down. Rinses out the black tank and cleans the sensors. Available at Walmart or rv place

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I've had very good luck with Dish Washer soap. It's made to break down grease...which helps clean the gunk off the sensors. However, I've always put it in with about 1/4-1/2 tank of water when traveling, no sure if it would work if you don't slosh it around. Good Luck !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one successfully 100% is able to keep the sensors clean. Even external tank type appear to be unreliable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy Camper seems to do a good job, use plenty of water. I’ve cubes do zip, nada, zilch.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can tell when ours is getting full, so don't worry about the tank sensors/gauges anyway. We have tried various things suggested on here and some worked for a couple weeks. I think most methods suggested are for weekenders who drive, dump and flush their tanks every few weekends.