cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety for doors

mjmc3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Newbie here. is there an additional padlock type lock that I can put on the door of the large class c winnebago 31 for security. how do you keep it safe from theft. thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Tdkeilman
Explorer
Explorer
If I was worried about the "cheapy" lock and the deadbolt lock not keeping someone out, I would park somewhere else. Just sayin'

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If worried about the cab doors, Sussex Installations in the UK has deadbolt locks that will keep those closed even if the windows are broken. I wouldn't want them on my "C" because they don't open from the inside. I personally wouldn't do anything other than a Jimmi-Jammer on the cab doors for safety reasons.

On the entry/exit door, I'd also look at a Fiamma Safe Door. It is a way to have security, but a tad more elegant than the mentioned hockey puck locks.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Why bother given how quick someone could slim jim the cab doors?
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the standard house deadbolt for the last 40 years on a number of rigs. They and the jigs to cut and install them in doors are easy to find. The stand rv door lock is not much help.. However no matter what you do its easy to just pop the out side trim around the door off and unscrew the door frame and take it out. If some one really wants in there is no real way to keep them out. Just like your house.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind the marring of the door surface, you can put a bar in place on the entry door, then enter and exit out the doors in the cab. Another option is a jimmy proof deadbolt. The double-cylinder will keep the door closed even if a bad guy reaches the latch.

Of course, the tweaker will then go to one of the cab doors and smash a window to get in...

I have been thinking of this myself, so I'd probably go with a single cylinder lock as linked above, which will be a visual deterrent, but that's as far as I'd bother going.

Another idea are the large "hockey puck" locks and hasps, but they are ugly, and may rust after a while.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I agree if the little deadbolt doesn't keep them out probably nothing will.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Most important is where you park it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
My Gulfstream had a deadbolt type lock on the entry door in addition to the worthless lock on the door handle. Even with that, keep in mind that RV doors are very lightweight and can be defeated with hand tools. If they want in, they'll get in, but at least an additional lock will make it more difficult.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3