Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety Steer-plus

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.

I have a 2012 Winnebago Itasca Sunstar T30. Having issues with a wondering front end. I have an appointment to have the front end looked at and aligned. Iโ€™m also considering a Safety Steer.

Who has added these and are you happy with the results?

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is WAG?
Well most motor homes have two things that contribute to WAG
Solid axles, both front and rear.. and leaf springs

So what is WAG
Leaf springs allow not only up and down movement but slight side to side. So if you have solid axles (more on that later) and all leaf springs the rear of the coach may move a bit say to the left while the front swings a bit to the right. NOTE the wheels at this point are going straight down the road but the DRIVER sees the coach pointed toward the shoulder.

So he corrects Now the coach is actually headed left but fear not the head on crash. For the body ends "Swap" the rear going right and the front left. So the Driver now over corrects the other way.. Now you are wagging your talk like a happy puppy.

Why did I specify solid axles.
Well back in what the 60s' Pick Up trucks made a big thing of "independent front suspension.. They split the font axle in two and generally the right axle ended in a bracket on the left frame rail and the left on the right. With the axles bolted to the frame on one end. the body could NOT move side to side (in the font)

McPherson Strut suspension (used in many cars now days) has a shock with a coil spring and a RADIUS arm.. The radius arm also acts just like the Independent front axle. And older cars had a coil sping with an "A'Frame" suspension on the front (The only differnce is the Right A-Frame hooked to the Right Frame rail) These designs do not allow side to side in front. They do in the rear but again many have a radius arm there (Rear wheel solid axle cars)

So how do you fix it
The "After market" name of a radius bar is Trac Bar or Pan Hard bar.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Having too little +caster will cause wandering.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main advantage of all of the steering dampersโ€ฆmakes it harder to oversteer your rig, especially if itโ€™s a gas rig. Spend your money on trac bars.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

SmokyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Safe T Plus on, I don't know their differences. I do know the Safe T Plus improved the handling and wandering by around 90 %. One of the best investments I have made.

Good luck with your decision!

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh coach 4 corners to get proper tire pressure add saf-T-pluss next then if needed add rear trac bar.

We did not need Trac bar drives like a town car. One handed.
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Installing Safety Steer was the best money I spent on my Class A!

The second best money was installing headers on the '86 Ford 460. The change in power was amazing, the motorhome isn't much slower than my HHR now.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Start with tire pressures/weighing. Then have the suspension looked at and aligned.
A steering damper is a good investment. I would recommend the new one that you can adjust center on it as you drive to compensate for wind or crown in the road. I have the Blue Ox (which isnโ€™t made anymore for my chassis) and I love it for itโ€™s adjustable feature.
Then look into the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF). It makes the sway bars hold the chassis stiffer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it does not already have them consider Track Bars as well.
Many RV's "Wag" that is the body twits so the axles are going straight down the road butthe driver thinks otherwise and compensates... Trac Bars fix this 100%
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new 2009 Winnebago Sightseer and I put the Steer Safe on it. Improved the handling by 90%.

The only reason I didn't go with Safety Steer was the price.

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Have you had your coach weighed and set the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer load/pressure chart? You would be amazed how many handling issues that corrects.

I have not. Iโ€™ll be bringing the coach in for a general check up before I hit the road in February
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had your coach weighed and set the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer load/pressure chart? You would be amazed how many handling issues that corrects.