cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite dish install question

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a Dish system on the roof of my 2018 Thor ACE 27.2.
I will use the removable roof mount so I can take the dish down and use it manually should there be trees or other obstructions.
My question is what size and type of screw should I use to attached the mount to the roof. As you can understand I am a little nervous about doing this on a brand new RV. I do have good roof sealant to use on the screws to avoid leaks. Any advice from someone who has done this on screw type as well as other hints would be appreciated.
BeaverCamper (2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 260 DS)
21 REPLIES 21

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban52 wrote:
Hi, I am installing the same roof mount on a Jamboree M/H, has a rubber roof,what is the maximum screw length to use? Thank you.

I have always used 3/4" long screws.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
RVnet Metallurgy aside, It seems to me that climbing a ladder onto the roof of a MH to remove the dish, then get it back to the ground and set it up where you have a shot through trees to hit the birds is a terrible PITA? Then do it in reverse when bugging out?

It is, I bought 2 dishes just for that reason. I have found the roof mounted dish finds the birds just fine so far, but I do carry the second one just in case. Mine are winegard Carryout and Carryout2 so I don't have to change the receiver settings each time I change dishes.
Wildmanbaker

Suburban52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am installing the same roof mount on a Jamboree M/H, has a rubber roof,what is the maximum screw length to use? Thank you.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVnet Metallurgy aside, It seems to me that climbing a ladder onto the roof of a MH to remove the dish, then get it back to the ground and set it up where you have a shot through trees to hit the birds is a terrible PITA? Then do it in reverse when bugging out?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much any screw will be fine in this application and it has nothing to do with being "lazy and not willing to do a proper installation." The King bracket is fabricated from plastic (no galvanic corrosions issues) and most likely the installation will be screwing through the roofing material (fiberglass or some form of synthetic membrane) into relatively thin plywood. The King bracket has mounting holes for nine screws so the strength of the screw is certainly not the limiting factor.

Let's not over complicate a pretty easy job. The SS hardware is more than adequate and will be less likely to rust should moisture come in contact with the head of the screw.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, that is incorrect. If the screw gets damp it just means you did not do your job. So, if you are lazy and not willing to do a proper installation, you should buy SS screws. If you don't want to take the extra 2 seconds to properly seal your roof installation you can use SS screws. The problem is that is water can get to the SS screws then it can also likely get inside your coach. A good screw, of any kind, properly sealed, will look exactly the same 5 years later and if you skipped the SS screw you will also have a stronger screw holding the dish to the roof.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I will only use stainless on my roof, period. 100 SS sheet metal screws from Bolt Depot is $8 plus S&H leaving plenty of spares for the next project. #10 is a good size and length is roof dependent. 1" is adequate for most roofs and my RF Mogul Eagle satellite dish. Ditto for my solar panels although I did use a few 2 1/2" to reach some roof beams.

Other types of roof fasteners may be required depending upon roof construction.

No one is saying you should not. It's just not necessary and of no benefit.
Actually using SS screws that minimize any galvanic corrosion to the support brackets is a benefit. Minimizing rust should the screw get damp is a benefit, but clearly the moisture itself is a larger problem. Less strength than say steel is a non starter since #10 is very likely stronger than the roof can hold and way past what's needed. Store screws get pricey but considering the Bolt Depot price for 100 price even considering shipping is a non starter, but non SS from Bolt Depot would save a few bucks. And they can be used for other RV areas they may indeed get damp and are far superior to the typical mfg rusting screws. In addition I buy square head screws because they just don't strip like Phillips and many stores don't carry square head. Buy the way my RV is full of square head (good) that are rusty steel (bad).

Those are the benefits that I opt for. What's in your wallet?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Did the OP contact you? I do not see that he has responded.

If you meant that for me, no, he did not contact me. The King roof/portable mount had already been mentioned, so I was simply pointing to a similar convertible from Winegard since you didn't seem to be familiar with that option.

I think you might be confused. No worries.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
I will only use stainless on my roof, period. 100 SS sheet metal screws from Bolt Depot is $8 plus S&H leaving plenty of spares for the next project. #10 is a good size and length is roof dependent. 1" is adequate for most roofs and my RF Mogul Eagle satellite dish. Ditto for my solar panels although I did use a few 2 1/2" to reach some roof beams.

No one is saying you should not. It's just not necessary and of no benefit.

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Install went well. I can see that 1 or 1 1/2 inch screws would have been sufficient as after I drilled about 1 inch there was nothing under the top layer.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

If you meant that for me, no, he did not contact me. The King roof/portable mount had already been mentioned, so I was simply pointing to a similar convertible from Winegard since you didn't seem to be familiar with that option.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I have a Dish King VQ4550 tailgater with KING MB700 Quick Release Roof Mount Kit so I can take the Dish down and place on a tripod should we be parked in the trees. The mounting kit did not come with any screws, they just said use appropriate length and style for your RV......
I went ahead and purchased SS #12 x 2". I will let you know if I have any issues.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II