cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for the new motorhome

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
We previously had a Winnebago Class A gasser, a 5th wheel TT and a bumper pull TT. Currently in a Class C gasser. We are Jeepers, so no more travel trailers. The Winnebago was great once we got where we were going, and the small (24’)Class C almost fits our needs for camping and towing our Jeep but gets really crowded when our 75lb German Shepherd comes along, however, both motorhomes were a pain in the butt to drive. The Class C drives better, but road noise and engine noise was a bit loud in both. The Winnebago was comfortable to sit in, but hated the way it handled. The Class C Thor handles better, but still not comfortable seating arrangement as the slide out prevents the driver seat from reclining enough and not enough leg room. I enjoy driving my Ford F-250, so I’m thinking maybe an F550 based Class C might be what I’m looking for, but I’ve read the newer F53 with the V8 and improved handling are nice. I’m partial to diesel power, but not sure I’m ready to go with a diesel pusher due to cost. Hoping for suggestions to my dilemma. Is there such thing as the perfect motorhome for my needs?
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.
8 REPLIES 8

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Like already said, you just gonna have to pound some pavement, and do some test driving, checking out, and decide what fits best for you.

You definitely owe it to yourself to test drive a Class A built on the new F53 chassis with the big block 7.3 V8. Ford made some huge improvements to the chassis. Ford also now offers that same 7.3 V8 in the Class C chassis, so that would be worth checking out, too.

We also went back and forth between class C and class A this last time when we downsized to the Newmar last August. The F550 based super C units are really nice, but we really, really prefer the cab of the A much better. Between that, and the fact I don't want no diesel, pretty much made it a no brainer. But, like already said and to answer your other question: No, there is no 'perfect', one size fits all RV. Everybody's needs, wants are different, and you just gotta figure out what works best for you.

Newmar Bay Star is on my list of gassers to check into. Thanks for your reply.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like already said, you just gonna have to pound some pavement, and do some test driving, checking out, and decide what fits best for you.

You definitely owe it to yourself to test drive a Class A built on the new F53 chassis with the big block 7.3 V8. Ford made some huge improvements to the chassis. Ford also now offers that same 7.3 V8 in the Class C chassis, so that would be worth checking out, too.

We also went back and forth between class C and class A this last time when we downsized to the Newmar last August. The F550 based super C units are really nice, but we really, really prefer the cab of the A much better. Between that, and the fact I don't want no diesel, pretty much made it a no brainer. But, like already said and to answer your other question: No, there is no 'perfect', one size fits all RV. Everybody's needs, wants are different, and you just gotta figure out what works best for you.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My last rig was a 2017 32 foot Jayco with 2 slides. I was not that happy with the build quality,and the ride wasn't that bad, but I found the E450 chassis really strained with the weight of the slides, jack system, Hellwig springs and such. Then there were issues with the stretched frame and driveline vibrations. I sold and will go with either a Super C, or most likely a DP. I just want it too carry the weight with ease. It will be my last rig and I don't want any regrets like I had with the C.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
as a previous owner of Ford F-53 chassis mh’s. There are several suspension improvements you can make that greatly improve the drivability and some insulation in the right places can quiet them down as well.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, to answer your last question first, there are no perfect RVs, floorplans, or chassis, even custom built rigs we are bound to find something amiss. It appears you're headed to a larger more capable class C, but since you posted in class A forum here's one in favor of going with this category. My next door neighbor is a Jeeper as well, he has went through a variety of class C rigs and just was never satisfied overall. Finally, he went with a smaller 30'-32' Fleetwood class A diesel pusher and now has all the power and space he and his wife wanted with a ride they were more comfortable with. He is an EE and follows the maintenance schedule with exacting standards, he only laments the cost of diesel maintenance and upkeep which he has performed dutifully by the dealership.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your budget? That might help people get you going in the right direction. You can get a starter Renegade Super C for around $200. A little more and you can be the envy of all your friends...:)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do a bunch of real test driving in any MH that meets your space/comfort requirements IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like either an A or a C with the newer drivetrain would work. You didnt mention models on the ones you had before, but the 26' box models of both, with slides, will offer several options. Both tend to drive better now than those of yesteryear.
And in that 26-28 range, dont forget the Jayco's. I tried both a 31' forest river and Jayco C before settling on my current Winnie, and the Jayco I thought handled better, and was better constructed.