cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling our C -- Two Options

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to sell our C. Have been RVing for almost 25 years, several TT's, one TC, and this C. I don't want to debate the why's, as I have questions on the how's and our two options currently. I will say that we have saved generously for our two kids for college. Oldest has 1 year left, and tution went up. A lot. We now have a $10k shortfall for her, which would not have prompted this discussion alone. The youngest, who starts college in 2 years, has decided on pre-med then med -- meaning we have definately NOT saved enough! I know, there are tons of options/debates on that topic alone. Overall that is our biggest reason.

Some might wonder if we've saved for ourselves for our golden years...yes we have. But being 51 and 52, we can't pull off IRA's and 401k's and such w/o penalties.

Which leads us here -- pausing our RV trips to help our kids come out of college debt free.

We are considering consigning with our local RV dealer, who we've done business with for 25 years or so. We've also considered selling on our own, which I have done many times for cars, TT's, and even a house for sale by owner. But work has me traveling between Seattle and Cape Canaveral. A lot. I'm writing this from ORD Chicago waiting for a plane.

Has anyone consigned with a dealer? Pros/Cons? They have told us all the positives...we agree on a price that I get, and they sell for more and keep what is above that price. The other way, selling on my own, is covered -- i know what to do but not sure I have the time.

Thoughts on consigning?
9 REPLIES 9

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Listed on rvtrader. Several inquires but nothing solid.

Note we began saving for their college within a month of birth each. Our oldest got several scholarships, not full rides, leaving us with 15k per semester out of pocket. We had it covered until the last 2 semesters -- prices up, market down, leaving a big gap.

Yes, Lwiddis, who has the funds for med school? What we do want is the funds for the first four years, which we were on track for 70% of them, but not now. After that, she'll have to be on her own and loan it out I guess.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
List it on Facebook Marketplace also. Sold our 5er in 2 days last year for asking price to first person to inquire. Had about 20 other inquiries before I could mark it sold.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off topic a bit, but FWIW ... from a college expense vs. having/keeping an RV viewpoint ... I guess we were lucky:

Our daughter graduated from a local state college and lived at our home while doing it, so her college costs were near zero.

Our son gave up on a local low cost junior college early-on and still managed to retire at about age 45.

As a result our two kids now love to camp because they grew up doing it with us in a couple of our past RVs!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Premed and med school? Almost NO one has the funds for that.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Timing is everything.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
With 2 in high school and college visits underway, we're asking similar questions. Appreciate your thoughts being detailed out to learn we're not the only ones wrestling with options that ultimately all benefit the family, but in different ways.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how things change in a few hours.

We were 80% leaning towards consigning...as wapiticountry says, time, lookie loos, etc all are a pain. We've sold many things before on our own. Three homes and never used a realtor to buy or sell. Sold our used cars before buying new, even several TT's as stated.

But was just informed my travel schedule has been pushed back. So for now, I think we'll list on RV trader, which I've used before.

Seriously -- when I posted this I had "no time". Now I sort of do. Being mid-July we'll post ourselves and go from there. Not in huge hurry but want to move it along. And this way, we can still use it if needed.

Anyway, funny how things change in half a day.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I say consign. My time is too valuable to wait on looking loos, no shows and answer stupid requests all to make a few extra bucks, assuming a private sale would actually achieve that result. Just be sure your insurance covers consignment, many policies donโ€™t.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Sell on your own make the time. Good luck with tuition, wonder if someone is using your IRA and 401k's to fund their college tuition needs since you don't want to use it w/o penalties (this is for a different forum).